Keeping the system up to date

Discussion in 'General' started by tfunk, Jul 14, 2008.

1. tfunk

Hi All!

What is the reccomended way to keep the system up- ot date?

My hunch is that it's simply to do a "yum update" but I'd like to see what others recommend before I do it.

What are you all doing to keep your system up to date?

Thanks!

Tfunk

2. mattrh

i just use yum update. is there a way to schedule when to run yum?

3. telecomtechnician

Hi

Be carefull of keeping the system up to date. Is it a production server, or an equipment that you are playing with?

There are changes in the Freepbx modules, FOP and others. This is when you go to elastix version 1.1-7

Remember that this is an IPPBX with a lot of applications and the approach must be different. A simple update could BREAK a lot of things in your production server and if you do not have the acknowledge to fix it fast, you will be in an interesting and time consuming PUZZLE. So do not take it so easy when upgrading, specially in a production server.

4. MageMinds

If you server is in fact a production server it should be well protected from outside Internet hackers with a firewall, never ever put an Elastix server directly facing the Internet without configuring at least some iptables rules.

For the update I have the mota "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" you should not have problem unless you don't trust your inside users as they could try to hack into some flaw some update could have repaired. I tried once to update using yum update on a test server and it broke everything, since then I don't update ...