keeping e-mail local on Elastix server

Discussion in 'General' started by zaritronic, Apr 29, 2009.

1. zaritronic

Greatings to all,

I've installed Elastix 1.5.2 and configured the telephony bit of it quickly.
    Much different is the outcome with the mail component, even with the help of
    "Elastix without tears" that make an effort to address the problem from a
    broader perspective.

In my experience (and judging by the number of entries from people not being
    able to get the e-mail to work it might apply to this forum as well),
    the basic configuration that would suite most situations is
    to keep all Elastix mail local (i.e. within the server itself) and using an
    external mail client (typically Outlook or equivalent Windows/MAC client PC)
    to fetch the mail from the Elastix server.

While covering most of the basic needs, the proposed configuration would eliminate
    the need to change firewall settings, by-passing ISP blocked ports, getting a
    domain name from DYNDNS, etc.

While waiting for such a solution to become the official Elastix pre-config
    (at least that's my hope for the project), is there a kind soul that can
    provide me with the changes to apply to Elastix 1.5.2 in order to keep the
    mail local?

Thanks,

2. zaritronic

Hmmm, the fact that there hasn't been a reply in a week does that mean that:

1) There isn't any real interest in it,
    2) "it is so easy, we won't bother answering"
    3) it isn't feasible, so why bother?

This page http://www.postfix.org/STANDARD_CONFIGU ... al_network provides some information in connection with my search for a solution. The problem is that postfix requires a dns server + does not lookup into /etc/hosts (I've tested on Elastix).

Now, small offices/organisations do not really have a need for a dns server on their LAN + I am very much in favour of "less component in a solution, lesser probability for fault".

The simple and quick solution would be to use the classic sendmail 8 + dovecot: it doesn't require a dms server and performs lookup into /etc/hosts. It's a solution I've implemented many times on Fedora-based servers when there is no need for special features.

The question is: will ELASTIX complain if I replace postfix with sendmail?
    If Elastix *would* complain, what are the changes to implement in order to quiet it down?

Thanks.

3. strongbow242

I never could get email to work correctly on version 1.5. I now have version 1.6 installed and it works perfectly, sending faxes and VM notifications to Outlook.