keep alive

Discussion in 'General' started by coryjsanders, Aug 27, 2010.

1. coryjsanders

The strangest thing just started happening to me. My switch is colocated in a data center. Yesterday I installed an Adtran NetVanta 3430 router at my office. Another server on the network at the office is handing out DHCP to the phones. After a few minutes, when you 4-digit dial from one extension (behind the LAN)to another, the call rings to voicemail -- the other endpoint does not get an audible ring. And when you dial them from the IVR, you get the same thing. It seems like it takes about 2 minutes for the registration to fall off. Polycom phones. I put 120 in server.1.reg.expires at the recommendation of my reseller. Before it was blank.

Then I moved the phones to a different office running a NetGear router that is handing out DHCP. Same thing happened. But in this case, it is a little different. After the two minutes, if you dial one phone and don't get an answer, and then dial out from that phone to the first phone, it seems to open the channels back up and you can 4-digit dial again until the time runs out.

On my router that sits in front of my switch I am forwarding 5060 and 10K-20K UDP to the private address of my switch. I am not forwarding any 5060 or 10K-20K traffic on the endpoint LANs, but I am setting QoS to prioritize both.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

2. dicko

I would suspect your

Adtran NetVanta 3430

your SIP registrations 'connections' should be considered permanent, some routers are more accomplished than others at honoring that, some just drop them if there is no traffic, often I'm afraid you have to RTFM (the routers, here) :)

Ref:

http://www.elastix.org/en/component/kun ... reply.html

specifically:-

if you have problems with your network connection going up and down (e.g. an unreliable cable connection) and you keep losing your sip registry, you may want to add registerattempts and registertimeout settings to the general section above the register definitions. Setting registerattempts=0 will force Asterisk to attempt to reregister until it can (the default is 10 tries). registertimeout sets the length of time in seconds between registration attempts (the default is 20 seconds). ,

3. dicko

I would suspect your

Adtran NetVanta 3430

your SIP registrations 'connections' should be considered permanent, some routers are more accomplished than others at honoring that, some just drop them if there is no traffic, often I'm afraid you have to RTFM (the router's, here) :)

Ref:

http://www.elastix.org/en/component/kun ... reply.html

specifically:-

if you have problems with your network connection going up and down (e.g. an unreliable cable connection) and you keep losing your sip registry, you may want to add registerattempts and registertimeout settings to the general section above the register definitions. Setting registerattempts=0 will force Asterisk to attempt to reregister until it can (the default is 10 tries). registertimeout sets the length of time in seconds between registration attempts (the default is 20 seconds). ,

4. coryjsanders

Where do I set registerattempts and registertimeout to 0? In the general section above the register definitions, where? Thanks.

5. dicko

The heading of the reference I gave you was:-

"Asterisk config sip.conf"

that file is in /etc/asterisk :)

if you read that file top to bottom, there is a line

#include sip_registrations_custom.conf

try it there ?

But ideally and for robustness, you should preferably fix the router.

dicko