Jaber2 Setup

Amphibian

Wondering if anyone has set up any IM thingy like Jaber 2 on an Elastix 1.6-12 machine with luck, difficulty, etc...

Have Ubuntu desk top with "Twinkle" Sip Softphone that has instant messaging capabilities and would like to use the IM in-house. I have a web server running but would like to keep this portion of IM on the Elastix box.

I've search the forum and only seeing reference to other IM server stuff like MS Exchange Server and that doesn't help me as I have no MS allowed in this building.

Any ideas helpful

Thanks
Amphibian

dicko

Amphibian

Hey Dicko,
Thanks once again for responding quickly.

"OpenFire is such a server ( XMPP ) , but be careful as the one that comes with Elastix has a nasty "memory leak".....

Is the one that comes with Elastix 1.6-12 usable? and/or, what is the memory leak and how nasty is it, and, is there a patch or would you just completely remove currently installed OpenFire and install the one you listed?

Thanks again
Amphibia

dicko

Usable? yes, problematic? also (the memory leak).

Personally I would set it up on another machine, greedy and ill behaved services running on a VOIP server can spoil your whole day, this one will eventually, it depends when the memory is all chewed up, and XMPP can be very greedy if your office is full of "chatters", you can usually do without IM for a few minutes while you necessarily "restart" that server, but phonecalls not working tend to "piss the important people people off". Most have learned that java is not the platform to write fail-safe apps on, it's easy to program but brain-dead in many ways, use the newer version, maybe they fixed it :)

dicko

p.s. you became plural in you signature, did you clone yourself ?

Amphibian

God I'd love to clone myself sometimes.... :woohoo:

Thanks again for the info, think I will do just that and put it on a separate server. What the heck, running Linux it's cheap to do, right.

Thanks
Amphibian

dicko

hehe

If you have a biggish machine, you can get the best of both worlds by running "rogueish" stuff under vmware, xen or your virtualization of choice without risking eff'ing up your moneymaker and yet still be "green-ish" .

dicku (that's a nerd joke)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
achilont13