It would be great to include backuppc

Oh, I would argue that strongly. In any event has anyone successfully installed bacula and do you have some guides?

I don't get it, so even RHEL, CentOS, Fedora, Suse, etc have no backup solution on the OS? Then how is it "enterprise"? I mean there are certain basic things an OS is supposed to have such as inbuilt backup. I don't get the sense in that.

What don't you get? That is the way it has always been. It is up to the owner & administrator to determine how to do backups, that is not a responsibility of an operating system and there are plenty of backups systems, especially if you are willing to pay money. The same thing applies to MS, there may be something simple, as far as a backup offering, but they have NEVER included a full fledged backup system.

C

That is very untrue. At least MS has a usable backup and restore engine that allows to backup/restore to/from any media locally and remotely/network, which no linux "enterprise" OS has. If linux had it then we would not be having the current issues of looking for what backup app to integrate to it. Because it has always been that way does not make it right. What MS users usually look for in backup apps are usually for large setups that will backup large chunks of data at a time, for example 1Gb/s and also robustly support large tape libraries. I am a windows administrator so I know this, I use both the inbuilt MS backup for smaller clients and commercial solutions for clients with large data to back them up faster. And as you said, it is up to the user to procure commercial backup/restore apps if the inbuilt one does not suffice anymore or as their data grows larger.

My point is that Linux OSes should at least already have an inbuilt backup solution equivalent to the inbuilt MS OS backup/restore app even before they start using the word "enterprise" because that in itself makes the OS incomplete because I don;t see how they expect users (regular and home users for example) to use the OS without being able to backup their data at least on a basic level.

This Linux flaw brings us back to the issue at hand; a trimmed down backuppc or bacula integration with local and remote/network backup and restore capability. We have no choice but to focus on this issue now as an inheritance one of the Linux OS flaws (another bothersome flaw being memory hogging until system crashes and restarts).<br><br>Post edited by: techieg, at: 2007/12/01 14:01

Before you start making comments about what is true or not, why don't you get some experience under your belt. I have over 35 years in the field, was on the initial beta teams for Windows 286 and was using Unix before Linux was invented.

Linux & Unix was not designed to make it particularly easy for an administrator. It was designed to be robust, to utilize open source, and to give the flexibility to integrate solutions from various sources. If you are so in love with MS then go look for another solutions. As a matter of fact, MS is stating they are offering a Voice Server now. Use them. But don't come here critizing things you don't understand. We are all trying to create a better solution.

To everyone else, I apologize beforehand if I have offended you.

Talking about backup methods, and MS vs unix/linux/etc, do you know if there are something like shadow copies in linux?
And can you make a full backup of a running linux server, then restore it to a brand new hard drive and make it work?
I think latest versions of Norton Ghost can do that.<br><br>Post edited by: ramoncio, at: 2007/12/06 01:30

I have been quite busy and did not have the time to view your immature response cowboy47. We are all here to shed light on our concerns/frustrations and find solutions in a civilized manner instead you you go off like a bat out of hell insulting the intelligence of logical thinkers. If you have so much experience old man you will not respond the way you did, its not that your father owns linux so I don't understand why someone else's frustration should be taken so personal. Silence is a much better response than nonsense. Older is supposed to translate to wiser, its a pity it is not in your case.

Describing a backup solution using the MS model is not a crime neither is it bad or insultive. If you have so much experience you should have come up with the backup solution and stop yapping about your age old experience. You clearly lack experience in communicating at least in a forum.

And you are so much better?!? I saw no solution offered from you and all statements I made are FACT not opinion. So back at you.

Hold your horses!!
Don't go into personal disqualifications....
This is useless. Use your rage to solve problems, not to get angrier.
Windows includes a backup tool because it is oriented to a wider range of users.
Linux has been till very recently for computer freaks and gurus. Any linux administrator can choose many really good backup programs and deploy them very easily.
Latest Linux distros include basic backup programs too.
But rsync scripts are still the most used backup tools in linux.

ramoncio, you did a good job responding as you did, at least that was what I expected of anyone. Responses like yours are what forums are about and not insults. I've long moved on anyway.

Ok, this is my final script for BackupPC installation in Elastix.
It works like a charm!

echo "#Testing - packages by Centos Testers" >> /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Testing.repo
echo "[Testing]" >> /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Testing.repo
echo "name=CentOS-5 - Testing" >> /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Testing.repo
echo "baseurl=http://dev.centos.org/centos/5/testing/i386/" >> /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Testing.repo
echo "gpgcheck=0" >> /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Testing.repo
echo "enabled=1" >> /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Testing.repo
echo "exclude=kernel*" >> /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Testing.repo
yum -y install backuppc
mv /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Testing.repo /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Testing.repobackup
sed "s/enabled=1/enabled=0/g" /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Testing.repobackup > /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Testing.repo

mv /etc/init.d/backuppc /etc/init.d/backuppc.backup
sed "s/user backuppc/user asterisk/g" /etc/init.d/backuppc.backup > /etc/init.d/backuppc
mv /etc/httpd/conf.d/backuppc.conf /etc/httpd/conf.d/backuppc.conf.backup
sed "s/#Allow from 192.168.0/Allow from 192.168/g" /etc/httpd/conf.d/backuppc.conf.backup > /etc/httpd/conf.d/backuppc.conf
mv /etc/BackupPC/config.pl /etc/BackupPC/config.pl.backup
sed "s/Conf{BackupPCUser} = 'backuppc';/Conf{BackupPCUser} = 'asterisk';/g" /etc/BackupPC/config.pl.backup > /etc/BackupPC/config.pl
sed "s/Conf{CgiAdminUsers} = '';/Conf{CgiAdminUsers} = '*';/g" /etc/BackupPC/config.pl.backup > /etc/BackupPC/config.pl
sed "s/Conf{Language} = 'en';/Conf{Language} = 'es';/g" /etc/BackupPC/config.pl.backup > /etc/BackupPC/config.pl

chown -R asterisk:asterisk /var/log/BackupPC/ /var/lib/backuppc/ /usr/lib/BackupPC/ /etc/BackupPC/ /usr/share/backuppc/ /etc/httpd/conf.d/backuppc.conf /usr/bin/BackupPC*
chmod +x /etc/init.d/backuppc
chkconfig --add backuppc
chkconfig backuppc on
service httpd restart
service backuppc restart
clear
echo "********************************************************************************"
echo "*"
echo "*"
echo "*"
echo "* Now you can go to https://yourserver/backuppc login with:"
echo "* username: admin"
echo "* password: admin"
echo "* and configure BackupPC"
echo "*"
echo "*"
echo "*"
echo "*******************************************************************************"
Now you should read BackupPC manual, and do some testing. Backuppc consumes lots of resouces and might cause problems with PBX performance. But you can configure it to run at nights and test how it works. It is the nicest web interfaced backup program I've seen.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orbit114