It would be great to include backuppc

ramoncio

This is a very nice piece of software.
You can use it to schedule backups over the network.

BackupPC is a very powerfull, entreprise grade, backup solution. It

cowboy47

Have you installed this? When I tried I came across a few things. 1. It looks for par2 which I had to go search for, then when I tried to install that, par2 wanted libsigc++ which I have yet to get installed yet.

If you have this working, would you mind sharing?

C

ramoncio

I did it some months ago, so I don't exactly remember how I did to give you detailed instructions, it but I can give you some guidance.
I did it in Elastix 0.7.X, or something like that. It was CentOS 4. I'm not sure, but I think it worked too in 0.8.4 and CentOS5 in a test machine.
I followed some backuppc guides on the web.
You have to change some things in the default backuppc instalation. The default user has to be changed from "backuppc" to "asterisk" (well, this is what I did, and it worked for me).
I did it with yum, but next time I'll try to build backuppc from source, as some folder names are changed in the yum version. (backuppc/BackupPC)

First I put in /etc/yum.repos.d/ the Centos-Testing repository.
Then:
# yum install backuppc
# chown -R asterisk:asterisk /var/log/BackupPC/ /var/lib/backuppc/ /usr/lib/BackupPC/ /etc/BackupPC/ /usr/share/backuppc/ /usr/bin/BackupPC*

Then I edited the /etc/init.d/backuppc file and change user to asterisk instead of backuppc in the line:
daemon --user asterisk /usr/bin/BackupPC -d

If you want to access the BackupPC from an external web browser, you need to edit the file /etc/httpd/conf.d/backuppc.conf and change the
"allow from" line to include the new location.

After installation, you need to edit the file /etc/BackupPC/config.pl and set it up (read the documentation) for the way you want to connect to backup the remote PCs.

$Conf{BackupPCUser} = 'asterisk';
$Conf{CgiAdminUserGroup} = '*'; (or groupname)
$Conf{CgiAdminUsers} = '*'; (or username/s)
$Conf{Language} = 'es'; (for Spanish)

Then I added backuppc to the init scripts:
# chkconfig --add backuppc
# chkconfig backuppc on

and restarted backuppc and httpd:
# service httpd restart
# service backuppc restart

And then you have to learn how to use it...
It's a great program!!

I hope this helps you.

PS: I have tried with different versions of BackupPC in Ubuntu, Debian, Mandrake, and some other linux distros, and everything is much easier.<br><br>Post edited by: ramoncio, at: 2007/10/23 01:40

lek

Anybody knows where to find backuppc's RPMs for CentOS 5?

saleh

ramoncio

Nice.
I have just followed my own instructions and installed backuppc in Elastix 0.8.5 in about 10 minutes!
I have added to /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Base.repo the testing repository where saleh pointed out:

#testing - packages by Centos Testers
[testing]
name=CentOS-$releasever - Testing
baseurl=http://dev.centos.org/centos/$releasever/testing/$basearch/
gpgcheck=0
enabled=1

ramoncio

I had to compile samba 3.0.26 from source to be able to backup my Windows Vista's PC (my windows xp laptop did ok). With smbclient version in yum repository I got a segmentation fault when connecting to the Vista machine.
Now everything works fine!!

ramoncio

I have created a custom script that adds the testing repo to /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Base.repo then installs backuppc, changes permissions an main backuppc files to have it working in seconds.
Run it as root.
BE CAREFUL: It modifies /etc/BackupPC/config.pl and /etc/httpd/conf.d/backuppc.conf so any user from any computer in the networks 192.160.X.X can enter the backuppc interface as admin.
Read the manual so you can configure /etc/BackupPC/config.pl and /etc/httpd/conf.d/backuppc.conf according to your security needs.

To enter the backuppc web interface you must go to: https:/serverip/backuppc

NOTE: If you run many times the script, it adds the testing repository many times in /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Base.repo http://forum.elastix.org/old_files/backuppcscript.gz<br><br>Post edited by: ramoncio, at: 2007/11/04 18:29

lek

Thanks ramoncio. I'll test the script to see if we can include it in 0.9.1 or 0.9.2 as an extra package or an external module.

ramoncio

It is not perfect. I'll work on it.
I think it has some problems with /etc/httpd/conf.d/backuppc.conf
And I don't like how it adds lines to /etc/yum.repos.d/Centos-Base.repo everytime you run it.

ramoncio

It is better to disable the Testing repository after you finish this.
If you don't, be careful of what you do with yum. It can mess up your system.
If you install kernel or kernel-devel from this repository your modules might not work anymore.<br><br>Post edited by: ramoncio, at: 2007/11/08 02:02

techieg

While BackupPC integration is a great idea it will be wise to strip it down to a bare minimum solely for backing up the PBX to local and network drives also for archiving the CDR externally for realtime query from an external database.
Why stripping it down is a good idea is that I as well as a lot of others personally do not want to make my PBX the network backup server. Backing up a whole network should not be a process that runs on a PBX especially because it is resource intensive and will definitely affect network data and voice traffic.<br><br>Post edited by: techieg, at: 2007/11/16 23:18

techieg

While BackupPC integration is a great idea it will be wise to strip it down to a bare minimum solely for backing up the PBX to local and network drives also for archiving the CDR externally for realtime query from an external database.
Why stripping it down is a good idea is that I as well as a lot of others personally do not want to make my PBX my network backup server. Backing up a whole network should not be a process that runs on a PBX especially because it is resource intensive and will definitely affect network data and voice traffic.

ramoncio

Sure.
It takes quite a lot of resources while doing backups, but if you don't backup many files you can configure it to do it at night. That'ss what the blackout periods are for.
I wouldn't recommend its use in more critical servers, just for home users and small businesses that don't have a big amount of data to backup.
I use it at my home Elastix server to backup my peronal documents and a couple of small folders and database dumps from some remote servers.<br><br>Post edited by: ramoncio, at: 2007/11/17 01:03

techieg

ramoncio

Yes.
I have read some bacula manuals, but have never tried to install it. Seems more complicated than backuppc, and I haven't seen web interfaces for bacula.
But I have noticed that in last webmin version there is a bacula module installed by default!! Maybe one day I'll try it.
It has tape and cd-dvd support, something that in backuppc you have to do manually with scripts, and I think it is one of the best programs for backups.
Backuppc on the other hand, has a great and easy web interface, it can interact with Windows through smbclient, backs up any Unix, Linux, MacOS X through rsync, and last but not least uses hard links to avoid repeating files and saves a lot of space.

Maybe a combination of both would be the best, though I think it is dangerous to overload an asterisk server with many services, but it always depends on the amount of files and computers to backup.

Maybe it is possible to decrease Backuppc priority, so it wouldn't use so much resources at backup times and maybe run while asterisk is in use (not heavy use, of course), and not just at night????

ramoncio

Yes.
I have read some bacula manuals, but have never tried to install it. Seems more complicated than backuppc, and I haven't seen web interfaces for bacula.
But I have noticed that in last webmin version there is a bacula module installed by default!! Maybe one day I'll try it.
It has tape and cd-dvd support, something that in backuppc you have to do manually with scripts, and I think it is one of the best programs for backups.
Backuppc on the other hand, has a great and easy web interface, it can interact with Windows through smbclient, backs up any Unix, Linux, MacOS X through rsync, and last but not least uses hard links to avoid repeating files and saves a lot of space.

Maybe a combination of both would be the best, though I think it is dangerous to overload an asterisk server with many services, but it always depends on the amount of files and computers to backup.

Maybe it is possible to decrease Backuppc priority, so it wouldn't use so much resources at backup times and maybe run while asterisk is in use (not heavy use, of course), and not just at night????

ramoncio

techieg, thank for this great pdf about bacula.
I'm astonished.
These pictures are from a web interface or a gui for X11??
Seems like backuppc is just for kids and bacula plays in the major leagues.
I'll force myself to have a second try, but I should read some manuals or howtos.
Do you have any experience with it? With Windows and MacOSX clients?

techieg

I think the best thing would be to strip down Backuppc or Bacula to a bare minimum just to be able to back up the PBX only, to internal and external drives. If scripts have to be made for it then that is the way to go. Adding tons of things unto the PBX is not a good idea. Just one lean solution is good enough. And should support mainly tape and network backup and restore, CDR/DVDR support is not necessary but no harm if included as well.<br><br>Post edited by: techieg, at: 2007/11/20 09:18

cowboy47

Could you provide us some pointers and tips on installing this? I have gone through the docs but have yet to successfully install this. It appears that it installs but I can never find any files (does not appear to move or copy anything).

Also, if you have installed Webmin, there is a module for specifically managing Bacula in Webmin. Would love to get this working but I need some assistance from those much smarter than me in order to accomplish this.

C

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mai Tuyen