Issues to install asterisk with I3 processor

Discussion in 'General' started by komodor, Jan 8, 2011.

1. komodor

Hi people

I have a Pbx rhino ceros 2 with a processor intel I3

It was tribox but I installed Elastix

but the module asterisk not work

so I tried to intall one by one of the codecs that I have

Pentium 2 to Core 2

but nothing worked

I've tried ICC and GCC codecs !!

someone have a sollution?

regards :laugh:

2. fmvillares

sorry men its illegal to use that "open source" fake codecs in elastix...or to give any public suppport to them...as you see elastix.com is registered in the USA and the intel modified non open source codecs are illegal to use in the usa due to patents of intel
    read this.

Legal Stuff - Important, please read
    To use G.729 or G.723.1 you may need to pay a royalty fee. Please see http://www.sipro.com for details. Please note that this code is available for you to download for education purposes only and if a patent exists in your country for G.729 or G.723.1 then you should contact the owner of that patent and request their permission before executing the code.

To distribute Intel's IPP libraries with a commercial product, you may need to pay a once-off license fee to Intel (currently $US180).

My patches to Intel's code are distributed free under the GPL. Most of the code is just Intel's sample code re-arranged a little bit to work the way Asterisk expects. Therefore, this work would not have been possible without Intel doing 99.9% of the work.

3. fmvillares

apart of the item that you re using that codecs...you cant move codecs from one asterisk system to another if they re not the same version...
    trixbox has different version of asterisk thatn elastix so its logical that the codecs dont work moving from 1 system to another...
    1.4 codecs do not work in 1.6 asterisk
    1.6.0 codecs do not work in 1.6.2.x asterisk...

4. komodor

"sorry men its illegal to use that "open source" fake codecs in elastix...or to give any public suppport to them...as you see elastix.com is registered in the USA and the intel modified non open source codecs are illegal to use in the usa due to patents of intel"

thank you man. Im from Brazil And I didnt know about it.

thanks for the advice.

5. fmvillares

Re: Re:Issues to install asterisk with I3 processor

hi there brazil and argentina as countries with no software patents legislations are gray zones...you should not use it but we are not under the legislation of usa so here its not ilegal but again is a gray zone

6. Lee Sharp

This kind of imprecision in your facts is why the codec thread keeps coming up.

1) It is not illegal. It is a civil violation. No one, anywhere, anytime, will go to jail for using this codec.

2) It is not a civil crime in many countries.

3) It is allowed for educational purposes.

Now the other side.

1) If a US company promotes it, it can be held for contributory infringement.

2) Distribution in the US (and some other countries) can be a criminal offense.

3) The Latvian codecs seem to be buggy as hell.

4) There is no source code or tool chain so there is no way to know what is really in the damn things!

Number 4 by itself is plenty, and it is also fact. It can not be argued on moral, philosophical or religious grounds. Lets keep the whole "Information wants to be free" debate out of it. That can of worms can not be won by either side.

7. fmvillares

its kinda complicated as you point...its only illegal and violates laws of copyright only in the usa where patents are held...in the est of the world the concepto of patenting a software algorithm is inexistent...but as elastix is hosted in the usa that should keep us away from that codec use and help

8. Lee Sharp

As if the fact that it is buggy and may have Trojans in it were not enough... ;)