ISDN30 Elastix Legacy PBX setup

Discussion in 'General' started by JElzinga, Aug 12, 2010.

1. JElzinga

In our company (with approximately 40 extensions hanging on a legacy ISDN PBX) I want to implement Asterisk. At first, my idea is to get Elastix between the incoming/outgoing ISDN30 Line and the ISDN30 PBX.

Am I correct assuming I need to do the following:

* Insert a 2 PRI card / Astribank
    * Connect the incoming ISDN30 line to a PRI
    * Connect the Legacy PBX to the other PRI

Setup trunks for both PRI's and setup Ingoing and Outgoing Routes to match the traffic?

Our phone-numbers are 050-587XXXX so I make an

* Set a 1st Outgoing Route for those DID's to go to the Legacy-PRI
    * Set a 2nd Outgoing Route for all external-numbers (0X) to the ISDN30-PRI

Am I correct in assuming this way the Elastix server will simply 'tunnel' all traffic transparently?

Once I got the basic 'gateway' sorted I will begin adding extensions to the Elastix-box and I will have to match Inbound Routes for those?

Anyone have experience with a setup like this and can give me more insights, pointers, tips and tricks and problems I might run into ?

2. dicko

Pretty well, make sure the timing on the pbx pri is pri-net, and you might want to put the pbx trunk in the from-internal extension if you want full access to the features like conferencing and voicemail from "inside" lighting lamps and extinquishing them also takes a litlle head scrathing

dicko

3. JElzinga

pri-net: Check, the Legacy PBX must 'think' that the PRI provided by Asterisk is a 'normal ISDN30'-line. I reckon the ISDN-30 PRI must be pri_cpe ? I have to ask for details from our provider if I have to set it as EuroISDN on E1 (provider is a cable-provider which installed a Glassfibre-modem at our side with an ISDN30 port on it) and if it provides the sync-signal (I assume it does)

I reckon once I got the interfaces up and running I can start slowly by adding a test-extension on the Asterisk-box and see if I can dial/receive calls. Then later on it is a matter of providing DID's for those extensions so I can avoid them going to our legacy PBX. But once I can test and play with that setup, I can get started, hopefully :)

4. dicko