Is elastix ready for hands off deployment?

Discussion in 'General' started by cpenner, Nov 18, 2009.

1. cpenner

Hi,

I'm in the process of evaluating PBX solutions for a charity that I work with. Their current PBX is over 20 years old and slowly dying. As much maligned as the current phone system is, it has run for years without ANYONE knowing how to fix/maintain it. It just keeps running. This is good, because it allows the charity to spend it's money on it's core values rather than on phone systems professionals.

Now, the handsets and other proprietary hardware are starting to fail, and replacements are completely unavailable.

I'm looking at replacing it with an elastix installation running on some sort of telephony appliance. Is elastix up to running without administrator intervention for years and years at a time? Or does it still need periodic updates and administrator hand holding? (Yes, I understand that there will always be updates available, but is there a stable version of elastix that will run for a decade?) I'll be around to get things up and running for them, but when I've moved on in a few years, will I be leaving a legacy of pain and suffering?

For further info - the plan is to keep the existing analog trunk lines for now, and keep the IP part of the PBX purely inside the firewall. (Telco grade reliable high speed internet connections are outside the budget at this point.)

Thanks!

Cam

2. Bob

Bob

Cpenner,

Elastix is suitable for what you are after. Our oldest Elastix implementation is now 3 years old and has been running pretty well faultless. Very much the same with many others that we have implemented many that run for a year or so, before we reboot to do an update....

Why did we do an update? The client wanted some of the new features in Freepbx or Elastix GUI, but one of the oldest ones, we have never done an update. They needed standard PBX functionality with a bit of voicemail, a couple of night switches, occasional change of announcement for public hols or other breaks that they have.....Just like the legacy phone systems.

Like anything though, what you put into it, you will get back out of it. So check the basics
    1) Quality Hardware. Doesn't have to be top of the range but use some quality kit
    2) Environment - make sure the location doesn't resemble an oven (especially on weekends)
    3) Environment - a UPS is always a great idea...not just for backup power, but as a good surge protector/fuse. Rather have a UPS die than a PBX system, and in general the UPS is customer replaceable.
    4) Write up some procedures to checking system in the event of failure. Do a procedure to check the PSTN lines with a standard phone.....
    5) Use Mirrored Hard drives...doesn't cost a fortune..just a bit of confidence
    6) Show them how to do backups or better still automate them....

These are all basic, but would mean that it doesn't become the voodoo box in the corner that no one knows whats going on.

Hope this provides some insight....

Regards

Bob