IP Remote Extensions Dropouts? Audio issues?

Discussion in 'General' started by finisproductions, Oct 25, 2010.

1. finisproductions

Don't know if this is the right place, but I have a general help question to pose to the forum. I have an Elastix server connected to T1 PRI's in my office. We have several remote extensions via internet, also a remote office connected with an IAX2 trunk. The IAX2 setup is as described in Elastix blogs and until last week, all phones were working well. As of last week I started getting complaints of dropouts during calls on these lines. I have reset all of our equipment and tested our internet connection which should be ample bandwidth to accommodate these phones (See speed test results below).

Can anyone provide any ideas of how I can troubleshoot this issue? I don't know what additional info to post but would be happy to elaborate if you think you can assist. Thanks.

Speed Test - Last Result:
    Download Speed: 25893 kbps (3236.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 2582 kbps (322.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 16 ms

2. Lee Sharp

First, do not take the titles personally... I did not name the articles. :) But they are very good.

It's The Latency, Stupid (1996)
    http://rescomp.stanford.edu/~cheshire/r ... tency.html

This is the gold standard, and one of the most referenced articles on the net.

It' still the latency
    http://www.edgeblog.net/2007/its-still- ... cy-stupid/

A nice update about why it still applies...

So the point is, what is your end to end latency? I will bet it ain't 16 ms. Especially when the problem is happening. This is why all out VOIP goes to the Internet on a data T1, not out fat cable modem. Latency...

So, ping from the elastix server to the remote server when you have issues and see what the latency and packet loss is.