Inward Call Quality Bad with G729 Codec Installed

Discussion in 'General' started by MGG, Jun 30, 2010.

1. MGG

MGG

Hi All

I have followed "Elastix Without Tears" to install G729 by doing the following:

1. Going to http://asterisk.hosting.lv/ and downloading "codec_g729-ast14-icc-glibc-pentium4.so" then renaming it to "codec_g729.so" in the directory "/usr/lib/asterisk/modules"

2. It seems to work OK BUT inward calls start out OK but as the call progresses the quality drops out to the extent that the caller cannot hear me "Breaking Up"

3. What have I done in the above process that is wrong. OR do I have to change a config file somewhere ?? Or is it a "Time To Live" setting somewhere???

Cheers

2. dicko

You get what you pay for, either in bandwidth usage or drivers.If you are being cheap expect cheapness. End of story.

3. rgranados

Re: Re:Inward Call Quality Bad with G729 Codec Installed

In other words: i think best is to buy the licences... they are not expensive and work fines, i am using some and it is working fine.

4. dicko

Re: Re:Inward Call Quality Bad with G729 Codec Installed

Our friend MGG rejected my counsel both on cost and ethics four months ago. (I couldn't resist replying :) )

He did save 16 or 20 bucks though and Perhaps the Latvians supported him and all is good.

I karma++ you for "getting" it.

dicko

p.s.
    Although I'm an open source advocate:-

I cannot fault Digium for asking a license fee for their "original art". We all avail ourselves for free to most every other part of their Asterisk software, and if anyone here sent them a penny please identify yourself :) , some-one or some-thing has to fund those efforts, no?

I do however have a problem with "stolen" stuff both hardware design and software. I'm sure MGG as a windowboxer has spent many, many thousands on his licenses, I don't for a moment suspect he went to Latvia to steal his Microsoft Software, why would he, Microsoft are known for selling the most secure and best of breed software, they should get every penny they earned. And so of course should the Latvians.

I'm also just suggesting that a few dollars per channel would be well invested by anyone who relies on a robust and legitimate g729 codec.

5. MGG

MGG

Hi Dicko & rgranados

I have finally found time to get back on the forum to reply.

Thank you both for your input.

Dicko, I hear you but in the end I got it to work fine. The problem I had was that my command in the trunk was "allow=alaw&g729".

When I changed the command and restarted Elastix with allow=g729&alaw.....it worked fine.

I didnt get it from Latvia I got the idea from our "Elastix Without Tears" and Iam using it for testing only.

Yes Dicko, I come from a windows background and have paid dearly, but learning every day with Open Source.

Thanks Guys