Internal (LAN) IP issues w/ Elastix 1.6

aphorton

Hi there,

I am a long time user of Elastix 1.3 and tonight I installed 1.5 on a new machine. When I went to assign a static IP via the web interface, I chose an IP that was not in use by another device. When I restarted Elastix, it errors out, telling me that the IP I selected is being used by another device (it isn't) I checked the device listing in my router and even disconnected the other devices but Elastix still thinks that the IP that I assigned to it is in use by another device and does not assign it to Eth0 (the only LAN port on my mobo).

The setup command from the command line does not give me the "Network Configuration" option.

Therefore i cannot change the IP remotely via the web interface or locally using the setup utility.

could someone please tell me what might be happening here and how I can go about resolving this issue? I would really, really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Andy.

Bob

Andy,

I believe that the Network card script has been not installed by default although I can't confirm this as I have not needed it for a couple of years...

But to get the basics going, you could edit the following file (assuming that the card you are modifying is eth0..

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

The file should contain the basics

DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=static
ONBOOT=yes
TYPE=Ethernet
IPADDR=192.168.1.10
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
BROADCAST=192.168.1.255
NETWORK=192.168.1.0
NOZEROCONF=yes

Naturally change the IP addresses to the ones that you have on your network.

However, a big caveat...I am really concerned that your Elastix system is reporting the IP address already in use. This will generally mean you actually do have the address already on the network or you have a serious network issue or the card has not configured correctly.

Of literally hundreds of Elastix systems, both production and test systems, including alphas and betas, I have never seen this issue come up....The networking is not an Elastix function but part of Centos 5...generally they wouldn't get it wrong...so I would look a little closer first...

The only other thought is considering its a new machine, is it possible that your network card is actually not configuring, ending up with a 0.0.0.0 address and components like SSH and others are trying to bind to this address and they are the ones generating this error message about IP address already in use.

Now continuing to work on this thread, is it possible that your new machine has a Realtek 8111 card in it, which the 1.5 Elastix does not support out of the box. If it is, then install 1.6 Elastix which does support that network card. Perform an lspci at the command prompt and check what ethernet card is being found

Regards

Bob

aphorton

Thanks for your detailed reply, Bob.

I went a head and reinstalled Elastix 1.6, and the nic was handed an IP via DHCP. I installed Nano (I'm not very good with vi) before assigning the appliance an IP that I was absolutely certain was not allocated to another device. As of right now, everything is looking good. I'll complete the configuration later tonight.

I really appreciate your insight. Thanks again.

Andy.

Bob

Andy,

No problems, glad you have made headway on it....

And BTW, even after many years of working on Unix, Xenix, Linux, I still hate VI.....thats why I use NANO as well, so it's cool to use NANO..B)

Regards

Bob

eiger3970

Just type this to change IP address from terminal:
ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.120 netmask 255.255.255.0

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member