Integration of Elastix with Visual Dialplan

Discussion in 'General' started by ftolad, Oct 9, 2009.

1. ftolad

Hi all,

I have spent half the day trawling through searches trying to find out more about how to integrate Visual Dialplan Pro, but keep finding the same info from the developers, or other reconstituted reviews, and I'm not getting anywhere.

Can anyone who has experience of using Visual Dialplan advise on the following please?

I have 3 trunks. 2 are SIP, the other is ZAP/DAHDI trunk. Previously I was using DID of calls received to decide how that call would be routed, i.e. a call on the ZAP channel is for home, and rings a ring group. The SIP trunks are business numbers and route differently.

I have set up the trunks in Elastix. Do I need to define Inbound Routes for each? Within FreePBX, there is always an endpoint for a step, and so I'm getting confused. My call routing is starting to get quite big, and when using FreePBX I always forget something as it doesn't display the call flow in an easy to follow manner, hence I'm trying my best with Visual Dialplan.

Can anyone help, please? BTW, I';ve already searched this forum, and the FreePBX forums.

Thanks.
    :)

2. ftolad

A quick update... I've created the trunks needed as mentioned in the first post, created the inbound routes, done some test routing then using Visual Dialplan and uploaded, and it kind-of works.

Two things remain unanswered though... firstly my ZAP/DAHDI trunk is not showing up in Visual Dialplan (on the Asterisk Config page), whereas my SIP trunks do.

Also, any configs I create using Visual Dialplan will need to route differently, depending on which trunk the call is received. For example, the ZAP/DAHDI trunk should send the call to a ring-group, and the SIP trunks will eventually end up in a queue... but, this is the problem. Within FreePBX I can just route by using the DID to identify where the call has originated (it can't be on user's CLI, it has to be using DID - the number that the caller dialled).

I can't find anything in Visual Dialplan which uses DID, only CallerID. Any takers?

Thanks.

3. ftolad

I've found the way to do different routing using Visual Dialplan and will post the answers a bit later.

4. Amphibian

I just noticed your post today. I downloaded Visual Dial plan two weeks ago and have had maybe two hours to work with it. If you don't mind posting your work around on this I would be thankful as I too have same prob. Not able to find much info on VDP as it is fairly new.

Thanks

5. ftolad

Hi Amphibian,

I've been back in work today, so not had much chance to post.

Anyway, hopefully this may be of help to you, and to others... though this is especially relevant if you have more than one trunk in Asterisk, and perform different routing depending on the number that the caller has dialled.

Traditionally in FreePBX, this is done using the DID field. The output in CLI shows that once you have setup the trunks and inbound routes specifiying DID, the call is matched according to the number the caller dialled, and sets the DID to that. The call then routes depending on the inbound route configured in FreePBX with that particular DID.

This was where I had a major problem, as I could not find how to specify a DID for an inbound call... but it was pretty easy.

When using VDP with FreePBX, Elastix, or one of the other flavours, it gives two default contexts. One for inbound and the other for outbound.

Firstly, in the inbound context, don't use the "Start Extension" block, you need to use the simple "Extension" block. Double-click on it, and in the box put in the number you would have used as DID in FreePBX's inbound route. Then decide how you want that call to route, say to another context.

When routing to another context, start that one with the "Start Extension" block.

I've got a few more bits to post which I will do when I'm off tomorrow, including how I used channel variables to update global variables so that IVR recordings could be selected by dialling a number, e.g. for a long wait IVR on a queue.