Instructions for upgrading 1.6 to v2.0

Five5

Hi,

Are there any instructions for upgrading an Elastix 1.6 system to 2.0? Especially instructions for doing it without using an ISO CD... possibly using yum?

If there are no written instructions issued with the 2.0 software, would someone oblige in a quick how to documented on this forum.

Thanks.

dicko

did you try

yum update

from bash, or the Elastix gui update process yet?

Five5

Gooday dicko.

Thanks for your reply.

I connected through putty and logged in and did the following.

yum update yum
yum update

I have done this a few times since 2.0 was released, but I only get incremental 1.6.

Have I missed something somewhere?

Also, as to the Elastix web-GUI update process, I must be missing something fundamental there also. When I go to the Update tab within System, there seems to be no indication that there are new updates available. Repositories I have ticked include:
CentOS-5 - Base
CentOS-5 - Updates
CentOS-5 - Addons
CentOS-5 - Extras
CentOS-5 - Base
CentOS-5 - Updates
CentOS-5 - Addons
CentOS-5 - Extras
Base RPM Repository for Elastix
Updates RPM Repository for Elastix
Extras RPM Repository for Elastix
Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux 5 - $basearch

Does this seem right?

Thanks.

dicko

no, something got screwed somewhere , in /etc/yum.repos.d/elastix $basearch should be 2 not 1

To "go for broke" , are you sure you want to do that?
Does it not currently work?,
What will you gain?
Do you have an image you can restore from?
Do you have a backup of the current state of the machine?
(all the other provisos etc.)

Please rememeber that this is not windows and it's not Tuesday, don't fuck with what works unless you have a VERY good reason, and a VERY good understanding about what will change :)

dicko

Five5

Do you mean the directory should be...

http://repo.elastix.org/elastix/2/base/x86_64/RPMS/

or

http://repo.elastix.org/elastix/2/base/SRPMS/

Good questions you raise dicko.

Although our system is working just fine, my rationale for upgrading is better integration and later versions of some of the features and extras, for example vTiger, SugarCRM, Openfire, A2Billing, and Web-fax sending.

I will do suitable configuration and installation back-ups before an upgrade, and do a test update on a test installation I keep on a virtual UNIX machine on my PC, just so I get to try the process and outcomes out before committing to a change to the prod system.

dicko

SugarCRM is now dropped by Elastix, , OpenFire is still unsupported past what you have (the lame memory leaked brain-dead version that will kill your server) A2billing is still at 1.3 and broken even there. I am in trepidation as to how palosanto fucked-up faxing yet :) :) just go with Avantfax, it works way better than anything you will read here.

Apart from vTiger which is apparently is still supported, you are pretty well fucked by Elastix 2.0 which does not care to support it's original user base past 2005.

(I' guess I'm in trouble now :) )

dicko

Five5

Since changing the repository config, the update on my test server seems to be going ok. Thanks for the help.

I thought those extras were supposed to be integrated and supported, otherwise what has Elastix got on other FreeBPX/Asterisk builds like Trixbox, etc?

The features page says these things are and will still be integrated into 2.0. When I read integrated' I expect it means there is some functionality integration between the two applications, like clicking on vTiger phone numbers initiates PBX calls, and incoming PBX calls display relevant CRM records, something useful like that.

If not, what do they do?

dicko

Elastix has nothing over trickybox but integrity and a prettier color, try it and see, if you need "everything I want for free and it better work or I'll be pissed" then this distribution is perhaps not for you. take a slower and easier approach and maybe you will get better support here

regards

dicko

Five5

I like Elastix, the core functionality seems to be solid and our single system is ticking along without problems.

I am not sure what you mean by your last comment about 'slower and easier approach'.

I would like to establish if Elastix is as advertised (regardless if a person uses it for free, buys it or associated support services) does it do as advertised?

Also, any functionality needs proper documentation upon release, otherwise it is targeted towards experimenters and hobbyists, not professional production implementations.

Can someone clarity if there is truly:
- integration with the Extras
- support for the Extras
- up to date documentation matching the current release.

Thanks.

dicko

I cannot be authoritative on this subject because I am not, but I can assure you that the core functionality of Elastix will I believe meet or exceed all you expectations, either as an experimenter or an implementor, if you are prepared to accept the intrinsic limitations of Asterisk as a b2bua. There will be some times that Elastix are a little tardy in getting thing "up-to-date" but I believe they will get you there functionally at most any time.

I guess I'm saying Elastix is a culture, please don't expect a simplistic "how-to", please reference:

http://www.elastix.org/en/home/476-Elastix 2.0 has been released!.html

dicko

donhwyo

You asked about support. There is a lot of free support going on around here all the time. If that is not providing what you need there is also paid support options from Palosanto. That should be considered if you are providing systems to others so you have backup you can count on.

Vtiger integration works fine. I have click to dial and call popups working. I have been using it since 1.1 or so. Unfortunately I have done some custom things so mine is not stock and I can't say if it working out of the box. If it doesn't start a thread and someone will probably try to help. If it doesn't work it is probaly some context setting within vtiger.

Don

Five5

Hi Don,

Thanks for your reply.

I did go down the path of paid support to get this upgrade under way. And was very quickly put on track with the information from Palsanto that 1.6 cannot be upgraded to 2.0, but they are working on an upgrade script/process what is due in about another day or so. So hopefully this will enable me to get the system upgraded.

As for the integration, my current prod system seems to have no integration - or the integration is busted somehow. I will wait for v2 before I make a call on the integration functionality. I might be expecting too much, but another feature of integration would be user management. When a user is created in the PBX, users are (optionally but automatically) also created in the other apps, like Openfire, A2Billing, CRM, Fax, etc. But it does not look like that level of integration in 1.6.

Cheers.

donhwyo

Five5 said:
Hi Don,

Thanks for your reply.

I did go down the path of paid support to get this upgrade under way. And was very quickly put on track with the information from Palsanto that 1.6 cannot be upgraded to 2.0, but they are working on an upgrade script/process what is due in about another day or so. So hopefully this will enable me to get the system upgraded.

As for the integration, my current prod system seems to have no integration - or the integration is busted somehow. I will wait for v2 before I make a call on the integration functionality. I might be expecting too much, but another feature of integration would be user management. When a user is created in the PBX, users are (optionally but automatically) also created in the other apps, like Openfire, A2Billing, CRM, Fax, etc. But it does not look like that level of integration in 1.6.

Cheers.
Good to hear the upgrade is going that quickly. The integration you are looking for sounds a lot like ldap. Vtiger has some of that support, not sure about the rest though. Ldap support across the whole package would be really nice. But probably a lot of work to get right.

Don

areid

has anyone had any luck upgrading from 1.6 to 2.0 through yum update?

Five5

From my above post "I did go down the path of paid support to get this upgrade under way. And was very quickly put on track with the information from Palsanto that 1.6 cannot be upgraded to 2.0, but they are working on an upgrade script/process what is due in about another day or so. So hopefully this will enable me to get the system upgraded."

So far I have not received any process/script to upgrade. In the meantime I have gone for a fresh installation of 2.0 and manually configuring the new install like the old one.

binary_dreamer

Hi.
I am facing the same problem.
I did have elastix 1.6 in my system. I did telnet and tried to do yum update. After that it went to 1.6.2-7.
I tried to do another yum update and it says nothing to update.
Any ideas on how to go from 1.6 to 2.0 without clean install?

areid

has anyone had any luck upgrading from 1.6 to 2.0 through yum update? Is the script for upgrade available?

areid

has anyone had any luck upgrading from 1.6 to 2.0 through yum update? Is the script for upgrade available?

blangys

Upgrade from 1.6 to 2 - Has anyone seen a script yet? I like the new features but I have an installed base with 1.5 and 1.6 installed. I'm hoping that I don't have to manually rebuild their configurations and recordings!

Five5

No not yet. Palosanto support were going to inform me when it was available (many weeks ago now) and have not, so I did a complete install and manually moved configurations over. PITA.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omarmenichetti