Installing large number of Aastra using tftp&XML

Discussion in 'General' started by yesmat, Sep 15, 2009.

1. yesmat

Hi All,

I appologyse for the double post, I couldn't remove this post from the Endpoint forum, where I got no responses.

We have a scenario coming up in 2 weeks where we need to deploy 30 Aastra 6755i phones.

This is a site where lots of Graphics and Media files are being emailed and exchanging hands between users on the LAN. So we thought it is better if we separate Voice from Data traffic by creating 2 separate VLANs.

Setup:
    Data VLAN=10
    Voice VLAN=20
    Linksys POE SMB LAN switches
    Cisco 1841 WAN router

Now, users on this site would like to connect their PCs to the back of the Aastra phones for obvious reasons.

The Aastra phones, out of the box, do not mark any traffic with any VLAN ID (Dot1q tag). The switch access ports for the phones/PCS will be configured with 2 VLANs (Untagged Data VLAN10 and Tagged Voice VLAN20).

I assume the following steps will happen (that's where I need some help and feedback)

1- When phones are connected to the switch, they will broadcase requesting an IP address from DHCP server.

2- Since phones at this stage are not using any VLAN taggs, then they will get an IP address from the native VLAN which is the data vlan10, where we have configure option 66 pointing to the Elastix server that's running the tftp server.

3- Phones will then download their aastra.cfg and <MAC>.cfg files from the Elastix server.

4- In the <MAC>.cfg file we configured the eth0 interface on the phone with VLAN20 while eth1 for the PC with VLAN4965 (Native VLAN)

5- We are hoping, at that stage, that the phones will reboot automatically and come up after that with both ethernet interfaces configured with the correct VLANs

6- Then they should request another IP addresses from the Voice VLAN20 DHCP scope.

7- Once they reeive IP addresses out of that scope then all is done.

8- PCs at the back of the phones on the other hand should receive addresses from the native VLAN which is VLAN10.

Is that the way it works? has anyone had to deploy phones and pcs in separate VLANs?

I belive this may be a question for Aastra1, but all inputs and feedback are weclome.

Thanks
    Please note, although no boardcode and smiley buttons are shown, they are still useable

2. yesmat

Any one guys please?

3. dicko

Aastra has a very complete set of documentation as to how it's provisioning works.

It is all explained in great detail in:

ftp://216.94.98.106/Downloads/Admin_Gui ... G_0905.pdf

(. . .and it works fine, just as documented, while I won't read it to you, basically the process is two part, aastra.cfg is downloaded then the security file "tuz" and <mac>.cfg if they exist. The "overloading" of these files and the locally provided provisioning is also documented, the resultant behavior is just as defined)

4. yesmat

I already have a copy of this admin guide (and i read it)

I guess what I am after is someone who had to configure 2 VLANS on these phones using tftp and whether the phones actually reboot for a second time after the download of the config files so that the VLAN tagging actually works.

5. dicko

I can honestly say that I haven't notice them rebooting, (maybe they did) but I can assure you that with the properly configured DHCPd's and tftpd's listening on all relevant networks, it works.

If you use the XML stuff, then you need to adjust your aastra.cfg and .prf file(s) to suit.

6. yesmat

We could also use LLDP-MED to set the vlans, but the switch has to support it too. I will try to get more info about LLDP and post.

Thanks

7. dicko

I prefer 8021q and vconfig, tagged or un-tagged traffic will pass (on "not ancient" network fabric) just define the VLAN interface and add the scope to dhcp.conf

8. yesmat

We will be using vconfig on the Elastix server to configure a VLAN tagged subinterface that belongs to the Voice VLAN. So the server will have one leg at each of the VLANs.

But we will configure the 2 DHCP scopes (voice and data) on the Cisco router, it is easier for us to configure and troubleshoot if need be that the Elastix server. On both scopes we will configure option 66 which point to the Elastix server.

The LAN switch that we will be using is a POE SMB Linksys.

Any ideas on LLDP?

9. dicko

LLDP unused here.