Install on Ubuntu

Discussion in 'General' started by helste, Sep 22, 2008.

1. helste

Hello,

I am new to Linux and Asterisk. Just installed Ubuntu and asterisk. I also installed asterisknow and get it working.
    Now I red in another forum,that elastix is better than asterisknow. So I want to give it a try.

How could I install elastix on my ubuntu machine?

I don't want to install a complete new distribution, because I want to use my ubuntu as it is.

Is there a way just to install elastix without installing the distribution from the CD?

kind regards
    Helmut

2. rafael

The only way you can install Elastix in Ubuntu is with a virtual machine, I do a lot of this for testing pour puses and I have implemented small pbx with Virtual Machines.

The technology I preffer is Virtual Box because is really Free (as free speach) virtualization software that works really good. You can use synaptics or aptitude to install Virtual Box.

The only thing that is not that easy to do is networking with Virtual Box but please refer to this link for that-

Saludos,

Rafael

3. helste

Hello Rafael,

thank you for the quick answer. I will try to install the virtual box and run elastix on a virtual machine.
    Hopefully I can get it to work.

cu
    Helmut

4. rafael

Good luck and tell us how it went ;). It is not that hard, the only problem is with networking, but it something easy to do if you read the doc about Virtual Box.

5. helste

I tried it, but didn't get the networkconfiguration working.
    So I decided to use elastix without virtualbox. i installed it on my machine, but today, I will remove it again and reinstall ubuntu.

The webinterface looks realy fine, but I am not so firm in Linux, and I didn't get samba installed on the elastix machine, to us it as a fileserver for windows.

Now I will reinstall ubuntu and try to get asterisk configured the hard way, without GUI, or I find a GUI, I can install on ubuntu without having to configure my system on the terminal console with no german keyboard mappings.

I really have to surrender now, for don't have the time to become a Linux expert. I just want get my asterisk working.

Kind regards
    Helmut