Install Elastix from source

Discussion in 'General' started by jonaskellens, Oct 24, 2009.

1. jonaskellens

New to the forum here :)

I'm checking out some GUI-tools for my customers. Came across Elastix.

I already have my CentOS + Asterisk installation by default, so installing the Elastix iso with CentOS included is not an option.

Is it possible to just install the Elastix GUI ?!

I saw in the repo that there is an elastix-1.5.2-2.src.rpm.

Looking inside, this is what it contains :

[root@elastix elastix]# ls
    backup favicon.ico help includes lang modules otherFiles schema.meetme themes
    configs faxes images index.php libs openfireWrapper.php robots.txt static var

I've put this in my /var/www/html/-directory but index.php is not loading... Just a blanc page.

So... is it possible to install Elastix the way that I'm trying ?!

Greetingz,
    Jonas.

2. ramoncio

Hi Jonas, wellcome to the forum!
    There is a CentOS2Elastix script somewhere, but I'd NEVER run it in a production server. Clone your hard drive to a virtual machine and do your tests there. Or get a second hard drive just for testing, clone to it the production hard drive and keep it unplugged in a safe place, just in case everything breaks.

3. jonaskellens

Thanks for your reply !

I use VirtualBox already as test-environment for this Elastix-installation.

I have read about the CentOS2Elastix (there's a pdf-manual) but it produces an installer to re-install CentOS and Asterisk and Elastix GUI, if I'm not mistaken...

I don't want to re-install my server... just add a sort of GUI on top of my already installed system.

Thanks.

4. ramoncio

Then you should try freepbx or asterisk-gui.

5. jonaskellens

Have tried them also. Was thinking that maybe elastix was better. Like to try multiple solutions :)

6. ramoncio

Elastix is great, but it is not easy to do what you want.

You can try creating the rpm's from srpms and installing them, but I'm not sure if it will keep all your configuration, and many packages have lots of dependencies.
    Depending on your kernel version, you will need to try different Elastix versions. You can always use 'rpm -ivh --nodeps' to force a package installation, forgetting about dependencies.
    But then it may not work. With 'rpm -qa' you can see the list of rpms installed into your server, if you have installed using rpms, of course.
    If you succeed, please post your results here, and if you run into problems you can ask here, and we'll help you as far as we can with our own knowledge.

The new things Elastix brought is the fax and email management integrated into a nice web gui, the creation of a php/sqlite3 based menu system with permissions control and the integration of some other GPL'd programs as CRM's Openfire, etc. But you could also install those at your server. Elastix also has the ability to add new modules, as the Call Center module.

If you have time, a virtual machine for testing and some knowledge you can manually install nearly all Elastix programs over your server, either with rpms or compiling from source. But you would lack Elastix's web gui integrating all of them and managing user's permissions. And you would spend a lot of time, with Elastix you install it in 30 minutes.