Inbound Routing based on Called Number

Discussion in 'General' started by apmuthu, Nov 21, 2009.

1. apmuthu

DID is available on Inbound Routes but some Telephone Service providers do not pass on the Called Number to the ZAP channel. Is it possible to route calls based on the ZAP channel where it was answered? Like say if a call comes in from DAHDI/4-1, then route it using InboundRoute1, etc. This will help make for a nice multi-tenanted PBX much like SARKpbx's SAIL environment.

2. dicko

I think you will find that no Telephone Service provider passes the "called number" to the number it just called, at least on standard analog lines, it would be rather redundant don't you think. ;)

You should REALLY try and read "Elastix Without Tears", it really does help with deploying Elastix, you might have noticed it mentioned around here before :)

It's all explained in that document.

3. apmuthu

I have read Ben Sharif's Elastix without Tears. I already tried Zap Channel DID menu item in Unembedded FreePBX (v2.5.2.2). All in vain and hence the post above. I am now left with a Catch All Inbound Route! Will try again and see if a few reboots will have any effect. Have requested the telco to provide DID pass on.

4. dicko

Good luck with your request, I'd be very interested to see how the send it, there is an old fashioned analog DID provisioning, but that tends to be ground-start and wink and doesn't support CID, also it's inbound only, I'd be even more interested to see how you provision that in Elastix!! check the part of the book (and for more details here on these these fora) that uses the phrase "from-zaptel", which is also required by the unembedded FreePBX menu (just as it says at the top of the page, did you do that?). I urge you to read until you comprehend and not just browse the book, FreePBX itself and here.

Boot away, my friend, this is not winblows or Tuesday, and is rarely if ever necessary with an Elastix box, everything but the kernel is loadable and unloadable, so rebooting is a waste of time and just strains your machine.

any way, forgive my impatience, regards and good luck

dicko

5. apmuthu

I did notice the from-zaptel but did not use it as the note on page 82 of Elastix Without Tears (EWT) states that:
    and I thought the the normal from-pstn being used by the rest of the system may break something else, notwithstanding the advice for DAHDI users to edit /etc/asterisk/chan_dahdi.conf (typo in EWT). In the light of your suggestion, will now try that. Thanks.

For DAHDI users, there are no files like:
    /usr/sbin/genzaptelconf
    and
    /etc/asterisk/zapata.conf
    Must they be created as advised or ignored as per the note in 14.1.1 in EWT?

Under what circumstances must we add
    Code:
    useincommingcalleridonzaptransfer=yes
    in /etc/asterisk/chan_dahdi.conf and is the spelling of incoming right in the parameter?

6. dicko

Whilst you "noticed":

14.1.1 Changes for ZAPTEL users
    (which you aren't, and thus should be ignored)

you apparently still haven't fully absorbed:

14.1.2 Changes for DAHDI Users
    (which you are, and thus should be fully read, twice or more till you "get it" )
    DAHDI users need to edit the .conf file etc/chan_dahdi.conf and if needed to add the following line to overcome the ZAP channel handling difficulties that many people are experiencing where calls that come through the PSTN line cannot be selectively directed to specific destinations.

Which was the exact answer to your original post (apart from the typo, which is pointed out elsewhere in the further resources) ;)

As to your other questions and as I said before, use the standard resources (including http://voip-info.org and http://google.com ) it will usually save a lot of time and effort on your behalf (and others) and end up with you having a greater understanding of what you have got yourself into :)

7. apmuthu

Besides editing /etc/asterisk/chan_dahdi.conf as stated in 14.1.2, I had to edit /etc/asterisk/dahdi_channels.conf as stated in 14.3.4 for each of the cannels used for incoming DID separation. My current dahdi_channels.conf for Channel 4 alone as DID is:

8. apmuthu

9. dicko

I'm pleased you got it working.

For the next guy who thinks they have a problem here. . . . Please read the documentation first!