Inbound Fax - Alternate Routing when Busy

Discussion in 'General' started by robfwtx, Jan 8, 2010.

1. robfwtx

Hello,

I'm setting up a fax server with a SIP Trunk that can handle up to 5 concurrent calls. I route incoming calls based on DID to a particular IAX2 extension. However, if I have trunk capicity, I want to be able to send that inbound call to any free IAX2 extension, yet still maintain the destination identified by the DID. With a PBX, I'd have a hunt group setup with multiple fax extensions. I don't see how to use a ring group with faxes.

Example:

IAX2 Extensions 20001-20010
    DIDs 333.444.2001 - 333.444.2010
    SIP Trunk Max Concurrent Call 5

If DID ending 2001 receives another call while receiving a fax at it's Extention 20001, the next free extension would answer, take the fax, and route back to extension 20001.

Hopefully someone has some ideas.
    Robert

2. dicko

A ring group IS a hunt group if you choose the hunt "ring strategy" for the group it will behave exactly as a "terminal hunt group", there are other options choose one that suits.

just set up the groupto suit and send the inbound route to it.

3. robfwtx

Thanks.. it wasn't too clear in the route configuration screen since there was a separate fax section and ring groups couldn't be selected there.

One thing I did notice, the IAX2 extension wouldn't answer if the inbound DID was different than what was entered in the extension. Would you recommend simply creating additional IAX2 extensions and configuring a ring group per incoming fax line? Or is there a better idea?

Thanks,
    Robert

4. dicko

Well that's one way, but hylafax (the underlying fax engine) is highly configurable as to how to handle a particular fax depending on it's metadata, that unfortunately is not configurable from Elastix. You've gotta get your hands dirty to do that.

regards

dicko