iLBC not loading

Discussion in 'General' started by Chilling_Silence, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Chilling_Silence

Greets all,

Im trying to get a SIP trunk to a local provider using ilbc. Problem is, it doesnt seem to be loading.

So I tried adding:
    load => format_ilbc.so
    to /etc/asterisk/modules.conf
    No joy.
    I connect to asterisk with asterisk -rvvvvv and run the following:

demo1*CLI> core show translation recalc 15
    Recalculating Codec Translation (number of sample seconds: 15)

Translation times between formats (in milliseconds) for one second of data
    Source Format (Rows) Destination Format (Columns)

g723 gsm ulaw alaw g726aal2 adpcm slin lpc10 g729 speex ilbc g726 g722
    g723 - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    gsm - - 3 3 6 3 2 12 - 45 - 6 -
    ulaw - 11 - 1 5 2 1 11 - 44 - 5 -
    alaw - 11 1 - 5 2 1 11 - 44 - 5 -
    g726aal2 - 14 5 5 - 5 4 14 - 47 - 1 -
    adpcm - 11 2 2 5 - 1 11 - 44 - 5 -
    slin - 10 1 1 4 1 - 10 - 43 - 4 -
    lpc10 - 14 5 5 8 5 4 - - 47 - 8 -
    g729 - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    speex - 16 7 7 10 7 6 16 - - - 10 -
    ilbc - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    g726 - 14 5 5 1 5 4 14 - 47 - - -
    g722 - - - - - - - - - - - - -

No ilbc :(

Suggestions?

Thanks

Chill.

2. saleh

3. Chilling_Silence

So I have to build all of asterisk from scratch ?

Ive run the script which downloaded the source & gave me a whole lot of little source code files... But no module :-/

Is there any easier way aside from building asterisk completely from scratch? Or have I missed something here?

4. Chilling_Silence

Any ideas? The source code for Asterisk doesnt come *with* Elastix, so its not quite as easy as "build & its done" kinda thing...

5. saleh

6. Chilling_Silence

OK cool, thanks for the heads up.
    Apparently compiling it and overwriting my existing Asterisk install was easier than I had expected.

Seemed to work, new version running etc, calls are fine with the exception of when the trunk connects via ilbc, and Elastix transcodes to alaw, the call is silent. My SPA962 & SPA942 both dial external calls just fine, the call connects and the timer on the phone begins ticking, except its completely silent...

Any suggestions ?

It works fine if I change the trunk back to anything else like alaw / ulaw etc, just not ilbc :(

Thanks for your help so far!

7. k2kmb

Chill,
    I also noticed some strangeness with ilbc. It loads, and shows it's there, no problem. When I try to change my trunk with Teliax to ilbc I get an unable to complete call due to channel unavail (on outbound). However, on INBOUND, the call completes on my box, but I get the sane as you, silence. I can see the vmail saying the person is busy, I just can't hear it. However, on my trunk with my ISP I set it to ilbc and it works both inbound and out, no problems. So I don't know if its actually an issue with the voip provider, or ilbc itself. Since it DOES work on one of my trunks with no problem I suspect it may be with the itsp. I havent contacted them yet about it since I just did the upgrade and writeup in the last 2 days and noticed it.

Kevin

8. Chilling_Silence

My ITSP only supports the 30ms variant of ilbc, and they were very clear about that, I wonder if that may have an effect on it at all.
    Can I ask what endpoint devices you're using? The Linksys SPA devices dont support ilbc, so I unfortunately *must* transcode (Im looking at pumping 15 calls via ADSL upload, approx 768kbps, ilbc seems like my best bet).
    Nothing unusual appeared (From what I could tell) in the asterisk console window when the call was happening either...

9. Chilling_Silence

So I decided rather than calling another number, to call my Cell.

My Cellphone rings, I answer it, and my iPhone says its on the call for <2seconds and hangs up. The SPA942 that Im dialling from (Ext 1200) thinks its still connected for a few seconds longer before it says "Call Ended" and I start getting the tone for "The other party has hung up the call" kinda thing...

Pastebin of the Asterisk output here:
    http://pastebin.ca/1221625
    Dialing from the number 099294923 to my Cellphone.

Also, as soon as my Cell picked up, I was talking. Nothing came through the SPA942 (on speakerphone).

Not sure if you're able to assist, but hopefully this information might help somebody :-/

So, my calls arent actually silent, they're being hung up immediately when the dialed party picks up the call :(

10. k2kmb

Chill,
    I'm calling from my cell into the pbx, and the endpoint here is a Grandstream GXP-2000, using the g729 codec to talk to my asterisk box, so its transcoding from ilbc on the trunk to g729 on my phone and it works fine on my 1 itsp trunk. On the other it doesnt hang up, i just get no audio. And yes, the 30ms vs 20ms on the ilbc may be affecting it. I haven't looked into any of that information yet.

Kevin

11. Chilling_Silence

Doesnt the GXP-2000 have native ilbc support?

Interesting that it works out 1 trunk but not the other for you...

Googl'ing so far turns up little results for me, but I shall keep looking!

12. k2kmb

Yes, it does have ilbc support, but the primary trunk I use is set for g729, so I have the phone set the same to avoid transcoding on that trunk.

13. Chilling_Silence

Hmmm...

I try dialing in to the box from my Cellphone and get an engaged tone. Asterisk console doesnt move at all.
    Yet I run "sip show registry" and get:
    *CLI> sip show registry
    Host Username Refresh State Reg.Time
    ******:5060 ******* 105 Registered Wed, 08 Oct 2008 01:03:21

14. Chilling_Silence

Can somebody else please confirm they've got iLBC translation working in the latest Elastix using that guide posted earlier? I can provide a SIP account if need be to test with?

15. Chilling_Silence

OK, so Im guessing its probably a config somewhere Ive done it wrong.
    I installed trixbox 2.6.1 (Slightly dated) using Asterisk-1.4.20
    Log is here:
    http://pastebin.ca/1224155

It gets to:
    -- Called 099294922/0800000000
    -- SIP/099294922-0a0c5318 is making progress passing it to SIP/1200-0a0c8a30
    -- SIP/099294922-0a0c5318 answered SIP/1200-0a0c8a30
    Sits there until the timer on the SPA942 gets to about 4 seconds (All silent) then it hangs up.

Ive set it on my SPA942 so that it'll only accept its preferred codec (alaw), and also in the Ext config too.
    Something tells me the box isnt trying to transcode it?

16. torontob

First of all, why there isn't any proper date to each post on this forum? Isn't a date the most basic thing that can put things into prespective.

Hello Chilling_Silence,

I am wondering if you got over the problem with iLBC. I haven't started testing it but by reading this thread I am already heading into lots of problems I guess.

Can you please sum up what you did to get it working (if you haven't give up yet) as a closing statement to this thread?

Your input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

17. Chilling_Silence

Hi torontob,

Long story short: I grabbed VirtualBox, installed Elastix, did a complete compile of asterisk from scratch including the contrib/scripts/get_ilbc_source.sh script.
    Once it was built, I simply scp'd off codec_ilbc.so & format_ilbc.so and copied them to the new machines in /usr/lib/asterisk/modules/

Restart asterisk for good measure, then run:
    asterisk -r
    core show translation recalc 10

You should now see iLBC in there! :)

MegaUpload link to the .tar.gz file I created. It should work with newer / different versions of asterisk, as nothing changes in iLBC as far as Im aware.
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=PR8W4GO8

Edit: Also in your trunk settings you need the following two lines:
    disallow=all
    allow=ilbc&g729

disallow always comes before the allow! Naturally g729 is optional, you could do "ilbc&g711" and it'd also work just fine.

Let me know how you go!

Cheers

Chill.

18. concentra

Hi.
    Is this stuff hardware dependent ?
    Can I install it in Intel and/or AMD processors ?

19. Chilling_Silence

I've used it on a variety of intel / amd boxes. Havent tried it on an alix / via board yet, but anything i686 upwards should suffice :)

20. kinglyr

@chilling_silence:

Do you have the source file of ilbc codec? because the link "http://www.ilbcfreeware.org/documentation/extract-cfile.awk" is dead. Therefore, i cannot get the extract-cfile.awk file to build ilbc codec :-(

Please send it at kinglyr@hotmail.com

Thanks!