IAX2 trunk problems between NAT'ed Elastix Servers

Discussion in 'General' started by shinacalypse, Dec 16, 2009.

1. shinacalypse

Help please!
    I'm a newbie trying to connect two elastix servers (and more, if this works out) which are on two separate networks which are part of a corporate WAN. The network administrators have simply assigned a "public" ip on their routers interface (172.19.8.X), which is NAT'ed back to the private IP address (192.168.X.9) of the elastix server on the LAN behind the router. This makes it possible for any machine on any of the two LANs are able to connect to the elastix server. I have even registered a sip phone on one LAN to an elastix server on another lan by configuring the elastix server's public IP address on the sip phone's proxy and sip server configuration.

But when I try to setup iax2 trunks between the two servers, following the elastix interoffice trunking blog in this link: (http://blogs.elastix.org/en/2009/11/int ... astix-iax/)
    I get an "all circuits are busy" error signal when i try to place a call from one site to the next using the iax trunks i have made. I am hoping to avoid a situation requiring me to setup a VPN of any sort as i doubt if the company's bandwidth can support it. But please tell me if i need to pay attention to any specific configurations to enable two or more elastix servers (which are both nat'ed) to use iax2 trunks.

hope to hear from you soon,

thanks very much in advance,

Sina Owolabi

2. dicko

Possibly because of the nature of the natting, please check with your IT department that port UDP/4569 (IAX2) is also forwarded through the PNAT (both ways).

(obviously the usual voip culprits UDP/5060 and UDP/10-20000 are as you can pass SIP stuff successfully)

3. shinacalypse

Thank you dicko for replying.
    I'll verify as soon as I get to the office this morning. I just wonder if the guide i followed is correct, and I followed it to the letter.
    Could you look it over please? It does confuse me quite a bit
    (http://blogs.elastix.org/en/2009/11/int ... astix-iax/)

4. dicko

I have read it before, I very much doubt if Bob got anything wrong, he is painstakingly meticulous in all his work.

5. shinacalypse

Hi dicko.
    I've confirmed that i have port UDP/4569 open on both sides. I've been able to get things to work, but with a PIAF guide I discovered instead.

Thank you so much for your prompt responses.