I think chan_cellphone would be really great!!

Discussion in 'General' started by ramoncio, Oct 31, 2007.

1. ramoncio

Has anybody tried chan_cellphone?
    It is a channel driver to connect bluetooth phones as trunks of the asterisk box!
    http://bugs.digium.com/view.php?id=8919

Maybe somebody can help installing it...
    Which bluetooth packages may be needed for Elastix?
    I have done:
    yum install bluez*
    but when I do "make menuselect" I can't select chan_cellphone, because it seems I don't have the needed bluetooth packages.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    This package would be a good one to integrate with asterisk 0.9!!!<br><br>Post edited by: ramoncio, at: 2007/10/30 22:28

2. adminad

Would be great. How stable is this project?

3. ramoncio

I'm not sure about stability.
    But I think it is worth to have a try. Here in Spain we pay a lot for pstn to GSM calls. And a gsm to pstn gateway is around 300 euros (around 400$).
    It just installs a channel driver in order to use bt phones as trunks. If you don't use it, it shouldn't affect system stability, and if you do it is at your own risk.
    They appear to be under hard development. Many versions in the last months.
    Have a look here:
    http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/index.php ... h+channels
    It seems that if you get a fully compatible phone it is quite stable.
    This would be a great addition to Elastix indeed!

4. ramoncio

5. ramoncio

Or maybe you can integrate chan_celliax, from celliax.org.
    It is a channel using a mobile phone connected with a usb cable.
    This looks more stable than bluetooth channels.

The point is to easily be able to use mobile phones with Elastix.
    This would be very interesting for Spanish users. Here we don't pay for pstn-to-pstn phonecalls (inside Spain), but mobile phonecalls are very expensive if you call from a pstn line or a mobile from a different company.

6. lek

lek Guest

Thanks ramoncio,

We'll include one of these channels for sure. We're evaluating them to see what is the best of them at this moment.

7. ramoncio

Nice, thank you!!
    By the way, chan_mobile is included in the Asterisk svn trunk.
    As yesterday I got some time, and my zaptel channels were gone in 0.9beta , I compiled asterisk and asterisk-addons from svn and zaptel 1.4.6 in my 0.9beta test box.
    But I forgot to do more tests, as you released 0.9beta2 and reinstalled it to see if the zap issue was gone.
    I just did in asterisk core show channeltypes
    and chan_mobile was there.
    Thanks.
    I'll keep trying version 0.9beta2<br><br>Post edited by: ramoncio, at: 2007/11/03 21:41

8. lek

lek Guest

Thanks for the info ramoncio,

I'm going to download the asterisk svn version to see if we can merge this channel in the current 1.4.13.

I'll keep you posted.

9. fastm3

Definitively great as chan_mobile ( trunk version ) works perfectly for me with 1.4.11.

Not a patch but
    Code:
    cat chan_mobile.c | sed -e 's/ast_debug(1,/ast_log(LOG_DEBUG,/' | sed -e 's/, config_flags);/);/'  > chan_mobile_1.4.c
    mv chan_mobile_1.4.c chan_mobile.c

did the trick for me with 1.4.11.
    Changes should be quite the same for 1.4.13

I want to give a try to elastix mainly because of the support of asterisk 1.4 and then want to add chan_mobile. If it's already done, I won't hesitate...
    Thanks anyway for your work.
    Fastm3.

10. ramoncio

What trick did you do with bluetooth?
    I got an error when I tried to scan for mobiles, saying that the bt adapter is already in use.
    Did you compile bluez from source or installed it from yum repos?

11. fastm3

I just patched the source code of chan_mobile ( see previous post )as the trunk version of chan_mobile won't compile with asterix 1.4.
    The current limitation of chan_mobile is only 1 device for each adapter. If you have only 1 adapter and your mobile is already connected, you cannot scan for other device. You have to disconnect first your mobile. Check this. I didn't get any issue to scan and connect to a N80 and a LG chocolate.

from yum repos:
    yum -y install bluez-utils bluez-libs bluez-libs-devel bluez-hcidump

Fastm3.

12. ramoncio

Cool.
    I'll see if I get some time this weekend to have a try at chan_mobile too. My wife is gonna kill me. :)
    The problem is that a couple of times when I've tried to rebuild zaptel, asterisk and asterisk addons, the elastix web interface stops working.
    I just get a white page... It must be some security issue, or something like that...
    Anyway, in 0.9 I can work with unembedded freepbx, but elastix is not usable. Maybe you (or some developer) can give me a hint on reconfiguring Elastix after asterisk compilation??

13. fastm3

Don't know yet elastix but recompilation of asterisk should not break anything. I plan to try Elastix next week and my goal is also to have chan_mobile working with it.
    Anyway , as Elastix has already a asterix 1.4 version, you could even compile only chan_mobile without recompiling asterisk. It should work if you have the correct headers. Chan_mobile is a addon...
    For that, you'll probably like me have to compile and install ncurses to select the compilation of chan_mobile and not the others addons.
    Good luck !
    Fastm3.

14. ramoncio

Great!
    I'll share here my experiences with chan_mobile too.
    I don't know yet is some of my mobiles will be well supported.
    I have a QTEK 2020 (HTC Himalaya) with wm2005 hacked firmware from buzzdev.net, and a Motorola L7. Maybe the motorola will be better supported. I hoope so, as the Himalaya is my main phone.
    Or maybe I can try with different versions of bluetooth stacks in the Himalaya if there are problems with the Motorola.

15. ramoncio

elastixvell*CLI> mobile search
    All Bluetooth adapters are in use at this time.

Any ideas?

16. ramoncio

I have compiled zaptel 1.4.4 and asterisk and asterisk addons from the svn trunk.
    I had some issues with oslec echo canceller, but I'm trying to make chan_mobile tests.
    asterisk addons compiled without errors and after "make install" and restarting asterisk I can see chan_mobile when I type "core show channeltypes" in the asterisk cli.
    But when I enter "mobile search" I get this error:
    elastixvell*CLI> mobile search
    All Bluetooth adapters are in use at this time.

I have been reading about bluetooth in linux and the adapter seems to work ok. I can see my mobile with "hcitool scan", I can connect with "hcitool cc xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx, and I can see the connection with "hcitool con".
    hcitool seems to work ok with my mobile, so I think it must be a problem of my chan_bluetooth module or configuration.
    Any help here??

17. cowboy47

All of this is great!!!! However, attaching individual cellphones to an Elastix server is messy looking. I know of USB & ethernet attached GSM/CDMA gateways but they are for a minimum of 4 chips and the boxes are expensive. Does anyone know of a 1 or 2 line USB GSM/CDMA gateway which could be integrated such as the Astribank equipment? It would be great to know of a device where I can just activate Astribank drivers and route cell calls through that device.

C

18. ramoncio

I'm going to buy an Astribank 2fxo 6fxs for testing & demo purposes.
    Is it easy to configure with Elastix?
    I hope so...
    It would be great to be able to use something as gsm gateway (cheaper than a real gsm to pstn gateway). If you just need 1 or 2 gsm lines chan_mobile can be great. I hope they work hard in its development.
    I still can't make it work. :(

19. ramoncio

Have a look at chan_celliax at :
    http://www.celliax.org/
    http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Celliax

This would be really great!
    If you get to know about something like this, let me know. Here in Spain, pstn to gsm calls are very expensive.

20. rikolen

I think that the best solution for call termination (VoIP to GSM ) and origination (GSM to VoIP) for small office and domestically uses will be this device:

http://cgi.ebay.com/MV-370-VoIP-GSM-Gat ... dZViewItem

I also read very good opinions about it in this German forum: http://www.ip-phone-forum.de/showthread.php?t=105326

I plan to by one of them in the nearly future. In refer to to the compilation of svn chan_moviles I got similar bad results:( with the following steps:

cd /usr/src
    svn co http://svn.digium.com/svn/asterisk-addons/trunk asterisk-addons-trunk

cd /usr/src/asterisk-addons-trunk
    cp /usr/src/asterisk-addons-trunk/chan_mobile.c /usr/src/asterisk-addons-trunk/chan_mobile.c.original
    sed -i 's|ast_debug(1,|ast_log(LOG_DEBUG,|' /usr/src/asterisk-addons-trunk/chan_mobile.c
    sed -i 's|, config_flags);|);|' /usr/src/asterisk-addons-trunk/chan_mobile.c
    ./configure
    make clean
    make menuselect
    [I SELECTED CHAN_MOBILE ONLY]
    make && make install && make samples

I use for this test asterisk-1.4.11, but unfortunately I was not able to find out an appropriate RPM package astrisk-devel-1.4.11 for CentOS 5. I will try to rebuild a RPM maybe from fedora source and try again.