I need general PBX advise

Discussion in 'General' started by tarzan, Aug 6, 2007.

1. tarzan

We are using another PBX that is giving us ongoing issues. I get to work early to perform tests to make sure it is working correctly... agggh!!!

I need a PBX on whose reliability I can depend. I have looked at AsterikNow (in beta so its out), Trixbox (looks intriguing) and Elastix (looks more intriguing).

I need something I can setup once... get it working correctly... then not have to worry about it.

I NEED SOME ADVISE ON WHICH DIRECTION TO GO:

Here are our major needs:
    1. I have very limited knowledge of Linux... but, I can follow verbose instructions.
    2. I already have a Sangoma A200D and one remora with a total of 8 FXO ports so I need something which will work with these cards.
    3. We have two companies so I will need to route the FXO ports to different IVRs.
    4. I want to allow for hours of operation and holidays for call routing.
    5. I would like to route our outbound calls by extension through the proper analog port for CallerID purposes.
    6. We have professionally recorded IVRs and I would like to use them with the system.
    7. We currently have two sets of extensions... one take the 200 range and the other takes the 400 range.
    8. I would like to have a HUD-like thingee which would allow certain users to barge in on calls to monitor trainees.
    9. We are using Linksys Sipura SPA-941 phones and I want to avoid the cost of replacing them.
    10. I want to put the PBX in our local network and only open ports to/from the outside as needed.
    11. We will eventually have remote phones outside our LAN though I have already tested that with our current PBX and think I understand the settings necessary.
    12. We are running the PBX and our SIP phones across our LAN through managed switches... but, we are not using a VLAN.
    13. Our usage is pretty low... while we have 12 phones most are placed for convenience and our max usage is generally no more than 4 simultaneous calls.

I tried to install Elastix on a Dell Vostro 200... but could not locate a driver for the ICH9 controller. So, I have not been able to install it. I have ordered and will be using the following parts to build a new PBX box:
    1. SUPERMICRO PDSLA Socket T (LGA 775) Intel 945G ATX Server Motherboard
    2. Seagate Barracuda ST3120813AS 120GB SATA-300 drive
    3. 1GB or ram
    4. ASUS SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model DVD-E616A3T
    5. Intel Pentium 4 650 Prescott 3.4GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor
    6. I have several (old) floppy drives and may install one of them as well... if recommended.
    7. Sangoma A200D Analog telephony cards... main card, echo cancellation daughter card, one remora card, 8 FXO ports in total.

So... I need help on which PBX I should choose... AND if the hardware I have selected will do the job (and work without too much hassle).

Your thoughts and recommendations would be most welcomed!!!

thanks

2. tarzan

I guess the lack of response gives me my answer.

thanks to all who at least read my post!

3. cowboy47

Well, I have used all of the systems that you have listed. I like Elastix over the others. I use Sangoma cards in several and I have not had any major issues, just a little confusion on the physical configuration of some cards.

I find the systems to be very stable and reliable. I have more than 5 providers connected to the box with both local and external users.

Item number 5 might be an issue but you could do that through some custom dial plans, I believe.

As far as the rest of the items, I see no real issue. So, I would recommend an Elastix box.

C