I Have a great working Elastix installation

Discussion in 'General' started by willteix, Jan 27, 2009.

1. willteix

One of my clients a used automobile dealer needed a new PBX. Mind you they had/have a PBX before called talkswitch which I installed about 6 years ago. And this is the 2nd unit that has been in operation in the last 6 years the first failed and replaced with a warranty unit.

They were continually complaining about can't hear incoming/outgoing calls. They had ATT come out to see if they had line problems. I told them prior that it was the talkswich. But encourage them to get a 2nd opinion. It proved I was correct as the ATT Tech told them that the talkswitch PBX was the issue.

I approached them with can't ignore deal. Some background to what they have: 3 POTs lines, and 7 extensions. Well this small of a system is a no brainier to Elastix. I built up an Intel Atom 230 system with 1 gig ram, 100 gig hd. Added am openvox A400P with 3 FXO addons. Installed Linksys PAP2T FXS Gateways to pickup the Analog phones. Put it all in over weekend and whamo it is up and running with Ring Groups, Voice mail and music on hold. Which btw is coming from the PAP2T since the analog phones they have put lines on hold internally so i setup the option "imusic" in the linksys gateways. Which contains one music file. So far i have not seen more then 3 calls going on at the sametime, which the Atom cpu is handling just fine. I had a bit of fear that might not be a strong enough system.

I am working on another system to go in soon with a very small research company it will also use the Atom CPU, but this one will have 3 IP phones. They are looking at the Grandstream 2000 or 2020.

My Story.

2. Chilling_Silence

Hi Willteix,

Good to hear another wonderful success story! :)
    The Atom 230 (On the D945GCLF board) is quite happy doing approx 40 calls with transcoding, depending on one or two other factors mind you, but there's *heaps* of room to grow!

Havent been a fan of those Grandstream GXP phones though, more of a Linksys man myself ;)

All in all, Well done, and welcome to the Community / Forums! :)

3. rafael

Hi willteix,

Thaks a lot for sharing this story with us,your success makes us very happy :).

Welcome to the Elastix community and hopefully we can see you around more often.

Best Regards,

Rafael

4. Tall_Carl

Elastix smokes Trixbox

Successful install of Elastix..8 FXO ports,4FXS ports, 15 SIP ext, 1 SIP trunk,voicemail, IVR......

Took me about 3 weeks of "Tears" trying to configure Trixbox or Sh..Box...Spent half a day to fully install and configure Elastix with no real issues. That even includes the illusive DID inbound call routing......

Interface loads better and easier to use, no problems updating packages....

THANKS YOU VERY MUCH ELASTIX....

5. willteix

Awesome on your install. I have messed with trixbox CE in the past even the latest version I can get it two work but the end point mgr kinda sucks it does not find the phones you have to enter the macs to find em. Elastix is awesome in that regard it scans and finds the phones.. I find so many things easier with elastix then trixbox. This don't mean i won't use trixbox if i happen to find a client which is suited for it sure i'd use it but i'd prefer elastix if possible.

6. Chilling_Silence

Excellent to hear success stories :)

Always a real encouragement no doubt for Palosanto too!

Welcome to the forums Tall_Carl

7. haamed

JUST 3 LINES WITH 8 EXT !!!!! :blink:
    Be sure you can do more with ELastix,
    just trust it and don't worry ;)
    I tested elastix (without changing the core) for above 400 extention with 40 concurrent calls on one server(HP Dual Processor 3.2, 2G ram), include 20 Ext call recording (but without g729 codec),
    :kiss:
    B)

8. Chilling_Silence

Yes, but bear in mind different CPU's handle things quite differently. 400 extensions add very little load to a server, its the concurrent calls that do more for the load.

As mentioned, Ive tested that hardware, and 30-40 calls is quite possible.