Hylafax Upgrade?

trymes

I just upgraded our old server to a new Elastix 2.0 server, and I was surprised to see that hylafax is still using version 4.3.9. The 4.4.x versions of HylaFAX have been out since 2007, and 6.0.x is the now current version.

Why the older version, and is there any reason I shouldn't upgrade using the RPMs available from hylafax.org? We have been using 4.4.x here for years now and I find much better fax reception reliability from the newer version.

Tom

PS: Obviously, upgrading using non-elastix RPMs would keep me from receiving updates via yum, but what other problems might I find?

trymes

Nothing on this?

rafael

Re: Re:Hylafax Upgrade?

Hi trymes,

The best thing you can do to get the Hylafax rpm update is to report this issue as a bug in the bug track system. If you have rpm and Hylafax knowledge, you may want to help us mantain the package.

Best regards,

Rafael

trymes

Rafael,

Thank you for the response, I have recently reported this on the bug tracker.

I do not have any RPM experience, but hylafax releases their own RPMs and an SRPM at http://www.hylafax.org/content/Red_Hat_Packages . The main difference that I can determine is that they have two RPMs, one for client and one for server.

To install Hylafax 6.0.4 on Elastix 2.0 I did the following:

1.) yum install rpm-build
2.) service hylafax stop
3.) rpm -e --nodeps hylafax
4.) wget ftp://ftp.hylafax.org/binary/linux/redh ... -1.src.rpm
5.) rpmbuild --rebuild hylafax-6.0.4-1.src.rpm
6.) rpm -ivh /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/x86_64/hylafax-*
7.) service hylafax start

I'll add this info to the bug tracker, too.

Tom

rafael

Re: Re:Hylafax Upgrade?

great work, thanks a lot :)

maumar

i am tempted to do what you did and install hylfax 6.0.5, but then, when i will upgrade elastix box, i will have an issue on hylafax, sadly

i cannot understand what prevents elatix dev ppl to include an hylafax at leat 4.4.0, 4.3.9 is not enough to have mail2fax
Email_to_Fax_Gateway
Code:
*** NOTE*** This describe the old pre 4.4 version of faxmail.  Begining with version
4.4.0, faxmail now handles attachments natively, according to the same typerules logic as
sendfax.

trymes

You will not have to worry if you upgrade elastix later, as you will have removed the hylafax packages during the upgrade. Because they are no longer installed, yum won't try to upgrade them.

Tom

manchi

Have you done it successfully?

trymes

manchi said:
Have you done it successfully?
Has who done what successfully?

maumar

i was very near to a solution, but for some reason i do not remember i aborted the job

trymes

I am massively confused, as both of you are being quite vague. My original post was about upgrading Hylafax to a newer version. If that's what you are trying to do, I posted instructions on how to do that in my third post.

Since that time, a new version of Hylafax has been released, so you probably want to download that from the hylafax.org link in my third post and modify the instructions accordingly.

manchi

Because we want to try that in our production machine, and just want to make sure that the step taken in trymes third post worked well,since i got some serious problems with ghostscript as well,forgive my lack of knowledge that brought to this post,but i just wondering whether we can also upgrade the ghostscript

USFBulls

I attempted to use the posted instructions, which worked very well so thank you!

However, I get an error stating that the following dependencies are not installed. I am using the latest 2.x RC2 version of Elastix. I received dependencies error when doing the command line:

rpmbuild --rebuild hylafax-6.0.5-1.src.rpm

(I received the error attempting to do the 6.0.4 version as well)

The dependencies that were missing are: libjpeg-devel and gettext

So then I attempted to use the rpm --install command to install the Hylafax client and server. This seemed to install, but it still doesnt work.

The packages I installed were:
hylafax-client-6.0.5-1rhel5.x86_64.rpm
hylafax-server-6.0.5-1rhel5.x86_64.rpm

Any information would be appreciated. I am new to this but I have a good handle on the technology.

Thanks in advance.

trymes

Did you try to install the missing dependencies first?

Try the command "yum install gettext libjpeg-devel". It should download and install the two missing dependencies for you.

After that, remove the hylafax packages you installed, execute the rpmbuild command again, and reinstall the newly rebuilt packages.

Tom

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
achilont13