Hylafax programming help needed willing to pay!

Discussion in 'General' started by PHBarry, Dec 28, 2009.

1. PHBarry

We have hylafax working great! We have a problem though. We are using the client from this site http://www.swt-online.de/hylafax/index_eng.html on Windows 2008 in a terminal server. We have many Doctors office wanting to Fax in and out but each office can see each others faxes. HIPPA compliance does not allow this. We need to make each extensions faxes only accessible by that client. So if extension 5000 gets a fax or sends a fax only they should be able to see their faxes. The people that develop the client software sent us two how tos for hylafax which are below. If I try this one it does not work and two when I add new extensions it gets over written. We would be willing to pay to get this working.

How tos below

FIRMENSITZ
    Walter Tho

2. PollyDann

Hi,

I have not used the site that you have refured to but have had issues in the past with hylafax FaxDispatch and found that if it is edited with a windows editor (i.e notepad / wordpad) it did not run the FaxDispatch correcly.

If you have used notepad i think i had to rewite the FaxDispatch file using linux Vi and the it worked, Let us know if this helps.

3. PHBarry

No I do all changes from the pbx in vi. I dont use notepad for anything Linux based as it is easier to do from the server with vi.

The problem is if you make changes to FaxDispatch when you make changes in elastix they get overwritten but that is not the only problem. We need to hide faxes from client to client that is why we are seeking a developer. We have actually contacted the company that makes the client but they do not know elastix they are going to try but I would like to get more than one set of eyes on this.

4. DaveD

Have you thought of using avantfax addon to Elastix.?
    This will give you control on who can view what and also which iaxmodems the group can send faxes from, unless the users are logged into avantfax with the details you set they can not see the other faxes

5. PHBarry

I have thought about it. Will it let a client connect like I am using, and still have the same permissions as the web interface?

I have to use a client on Windows 2008 server so they can fax out of their software.. They cant use a web interface as they need print to fax.

I actually have a server with asterisk hylafax and avantfax but I do not want to do to much in the command line as I want other admins to be able to add people and stuff but I have to be able to print to fax off the windows 2008 server..

The main thing is faxing is working great. We use the client listed in the first post to connect to the elastix hylafax server and print to fax out of medical software.. All of this works. One problem is we need to hide each offices faxes from each other. In the client right now everyone sees all of the faxes. They connect by username and password so it should not be super super hard to get it working. I think I have inbound faxes now being hidden using command line unix tools but not working perfect and I dont want to have to do it from the command line as everyone I work with has the skill set.

Maybe AvantFax will do this I see some post with the RPM for 1.5.2 I think I will look further into it. If anyone knows for sure that avantfax will do this let me know...

Thank you

6. PHBarry

AvantFax is looking like it may be exactly what I need but seems to be a bit buggy in my version 1.6-12. I am going to try to work out the issues but it does look like it does what I want... The new version beta version of elastix looks promising too...

7. PHBarry

I installed Avantfax on a test server and when using the client it still does not keep faxes separate per extension. You can see other peoples faxes. I did try to separate them in avant fax but it still does not look like it does it. I am still testing though.. I even installed the new beta Elastix 2 and the faxing does not seem to be much different...

8. dicko

Do you have a separate IAX2 modem per Client and inbound route?
    In avantfax have you restricted the users to only use their own modem?
    These steps will isolate each client from the others.

9. PHBarry

Yes I have them separated by modem.

Well now it looks like they wont go out from the user I am testing in avantfax but when I send out the windows client they work. From the client I can still see all the faxes from all the users and I have them on separate modems and have them setup for separate folders also. There is something messed up as it wont work from in avantfax from a user account at the moment. I dont know that avantfax will even hide the faxes per user in a windows client. It may do it in avantfax but not the client no one has ever confirmed this functionality...

This is the windows client I am using http://www.swt-online.de/hylafax/index_eng.html.

10. dicko

and the faxclient is logging in as the appropriate user, not root or a user with elevated permissions?

11. PHBarry

Yes it sure is...

12. dicko

I see your point, apparently your chosen client is going straight to hylafax, where the permissions are linux based, and it's output is overly promiscuous perhaps, until you do all the old hylafax gid/uid stuff on the devices/directories.

Avantfax layers access through it's own database permission table and as such in my experience works well as to separating clients on the web interface, yet your client does not, I am not aware of an Avantfax aware client apart from the inbuilt web-based one, I guess theoretically you could send .ps/.pdf/.txt file to the avantfax php code at it's URL,

So you have a catch22, use your chosen client and do it the hylafax/usr/group way as to modem access and .tif/.ps access by directory and user, or perhaps it is possible to deny read access to the client, and have your users sent/received faxes through the avantfax web pages. Perhaps use a "dumber" client (perhaps Winprint HylaFAX) that merely sends a fax through the correct modem without showing hylafax' underwear and only allows access to faxes sent/received by that modem, and again use the Avantfax interface for readback.

Definitely a tricky problem here, I'd be interested in seeing your eventual solution.

regards

dicko

p.s. Personally it's been quite a while since I abandoned Windows, (they abandoned me first though!! (IMHO XP was the last "functional" windows OS in the real world that includes other OS's, and that just barely) I use sendfax (part of hylafax) as my client of choice on Linux boxes, so my input is probably invalid here, but the various hylafax fora have had windoze solutions in the past.

13. PHBarry

Yeah I have no choice as far as client as this is the only one that works well in Windows 2008 server in RDP/Terminal services. I have to be able to print 2 fax which I dont think avantfax has that option hence why I asked for a programmer in this thread. I did also ask the clients developers to look at it but I dont know that they will get it done. I may have to move away from asterisk hylafax completely and move to a GSI Fax server. Which the company does not want to spend money but had they spent the money to begin with all the offices wouldn't have been able to see each others faxes and would be hippa complaint AND they would not have spent the 80 hours we have already worked on coming up with an open source solution.. Go figure...

14. PHBarry

Yeah I have switched away from windows but then I had to troubleshoot a DAMN frontpage issue and had to move back. Windows 7 is pretty nice and 2008 server has a whole lot of enterprise needs. I work on Everything from OS X to Windows i pretty much manage every single useful OS out there! So much money in windows I doubt ill ever move away from it completely. So many things out there you just cant do unless you run windows.. That is why I use everything out there seems like OSX, Linux, Solaris, and Windows all have their usefulness but there is SO MUCH Money in the Windows world in so many different aspects. I wish Microsoft could get their head out their asses and make a good OS again. I like Windows 7 and I have not changed back to XP like I did with Vista so many times.

15. dicko

Indeed, if you tie yourself to the tail of the devil (in your case two, Redmond and HIPPA, both hegemonys, both totalitarian and both completely arrogant and dysfunctional), expect a rough ride, that's why I cut those strings, it was way too bruising. Good luck, any temporary success will almost certainly be destroyed by MS' next iteration, it has certainly proven so since WIN98. You might as well cave-in and give them your soul and all your money ;)

regards

dicko

p.s. have you looked at cygwin to subvert Windows with some basic posix functionality?

16. PHBarry

If I wasn't so diverse in my OS choices I would surely be out of a job and would not be able to feed my kids. Yes I have used cygwin.

17. dicko

Then perhaps you could setup an LPD queue to the hylafax server and attach it to the windows lpt?:

or even a cron job that reads "print-to-file" files named by the fax delivery number, that will parse the filename and sendfax it.

18. DaveD

Try this app as it installs a print driver , and you can print from desktop and view specific folders holding faxes

http://yajhfc.berlios.de/

19. PHBarry

I tried everything on hylfax's site here http://www.hylafax.org/content/Desktop_Client_Software they are on a windows 2008 r2 terminal server and I had the best results with the client we are using in that model.. I did see that they updated it TODAY thanks to this post and they are saying they have terminal server support so its worth a try. The main thing I guess is just getting stuff separate per client if I could do that I would be golden. YAJHFC did not work for my setup two weeks ago but now they have updated it may I will let you know.

20. PHBarry

Not a bad Idea I may go this route if I cant find something easy to teach the others. If its to hard I will always have to do it!

I have to say overall I am really impressed with Elastix over the short time I have used it.