Howto Upgrade SugarCRM from 4.5 to 5.1

Discussion in 'General' started by k2kmb, Oct 4, 2008.

1. k2kmb

Hey all, me again. ;) Remember in my last post I said I would have instructions on how to REPLACE SugarCRM with version 5.1 and not upgrade it? Well, I lied. :lol: I went back and refactored things and found you actually CAN upgrade what's already installed in Elastix to the latest and greatest. So, without any further ado, here we go!

[*]Prerequisites
    First, to make our lives easier, now and in the future, when working on the Elastix box, lets install nano, a small, easy to use text editor for linux.
    Code:
    yum install nano
    When it asks if it's ok to download, tell it yes. After the download is complete it will ask you if you accept the key it's signed with. Again, say yes. ;) Now nano should be installed.

Next, lets install any sysadmins friend, webmin. This program will allow you to totally administer any linux box by using a web browser. Sweet program, and I install it on ANY linux box I set up. It's very simple:
    First, change to the /usr/src directory
    Code:
    cd /usr/src
    Next, download the install image
    Code:
    wget http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/webadmin/webmin-1.430-1.noarch.rpm
    Next, install the package
    Code:
    rpm -ivh  webmin-1.430-1.noarch.rpm
    Thats it! After the install is complete you can access webmin using https://your_elastix_ip:10000 in your web browser. Have fun!

Now, to get Sugar upgraded.

First, we need to modify the php.ini file. If you don't do this the upgrade WILL fail!
    Code:
    nano /etc/php.ini
    Next, in the php.ini file find the following directives and change them to below. Note: They are NOT all in the same place in the actual file! I have only grouped them together for brevity. You will have to scroll through the file to find and change them.
    Code:
    max_execution_time = 120
    Code:
    max_input_time = 180
    Code:
    memory_limit = 64M
    Code:
    post_max_size = 50M
    Code:
    upload_max_filesize = 50M
    Once everything is changed, hit ctrl-x, y, and then enter to save the changes.
    Now, in order for apache to read in and use the update php.ini file you MUST restart apache BEFORE you attempt the upgrade.
    Code:
    service httpd restart
    Now, were ready to perform the upgrade proper.
    First, we need to download 2 files to your LOCAL pc, NOT the Elastix box. Sugar is a web based program and so is the upgrade system for it. So lets get the following files and place them into a temp directory on your PC:
    Code:
    http://www.sugarforge.org/frs/download.php/3950/SugarOS-Upgrade-4.5.0-to-4.5.1j.zip
    This is an interim upgrade from 4.5.0 to 4.5.1 as the upgrade patch to 5.1 requires 4.5.1 as a starting point.
    Now, lets grab the main upgrade file:
    Code:
    http://www.sugarforge.org/frs/download.php/4626/SugarCE-Upgrade-4.5.1-to-5.1.0a.zip
    Dont be put off by the different file names. SugarOS (Open Source) used to be what it was called before SugarCE (Community Edition). They are, in fact, the same thing. :)
    Now, let's perform the upgrade steps.
    In the Elastix web manager click on extras, and select SugarCRM. Login with a user name of admin and a password of password. (These are the defaults. If you changed them then use the appropriate credentials to log in)
    Once logged into Sugar, click the Admin link on the upper right area. Once in the admin area, under the System heading, select Upgrade Wizard.
    Click Next at the top of the screen. The system will run a system check for a few minutes, so be patient. As long as all checks come back passing, click Next again. After another round of checks it will show a box with a browse button and say upload an upgrade. Click the browse button, browse to the temp directory you saved the 2 upgrade files to, and select the one to go from SugarOS 4.5 to 4.5.1. Click the upload button. Once it shows uploaded click the next button and follow the instructions to install and commit the changes. At the end of the operation it will show a button that says Done and a link that says log out, which it will suggest you do if you are to apply another patch. Well, it's more than a suggestion. :) DO IT! LOG OUT, do NOT press done! Once logged out, log back into Sugar. Follow the steps to go back into the upgrade wizard. Now you will see the patch to 4.5.1j installed. Go through the system checks again, and this time upload the upgrade file from 4.5.1 to 5.1. It will take longer to process the system and preflite checks because its a much larger file, so be patient. Complete the upgrade just like the previous one. However, this time there will be a drop box saying manually drop the schema. Drop the box so it says let upgrade wizard drop the schema. Then, since we are actually finished with upgrades now, you can click on the Done button at the end. Now you should have a shiny new version 5.1 of SugarCRM running. Hope this helps anyone that might have been looking at how to do this. I'll see what else might need upgrading and if I find anything I can get to work I'll post it in this forum. Enjoy!

2. Kalama Sutra

Hi,

But if I goofed and "broke" my sugar ( is that now granulated or powdered sugar ), did you ever figure out how to do a Fresh install / upgrade AND keep connected to the Elastix interface ?

:S Jim