Howto Upgrade Asterisk from 1.4.22rc5 to 1.4.22

k2kmb

This writeup will show you how to upgrade the "core" asterisk itself from version 1.4.22rc5 to 1.4.22 final release.

[*]First, change to /usr/src directory
Code:
cd /usr/src
[*]Download the Asterisk 1.4.22 Release source files
Code:
wget http://downloads.digium.com/pub/asterisk/asterisk-1.4.22.tar.gz
[*]Next extract the source files
Code:
tar -xzvf asterisk-1.4.22.tar.gz
[*]Change to the asterisk source directory
Code:
cd asterisk-1.4.22
Now, as you may or may not know, Digium REMOVED the source code for the ilbc codec a few revisions ago due
to licensing issues with them including it. However, the next few instructions will download the ilbc source and
place it back into the asterisk source tree so that it can be compiled into asterisk when you build it. This IS
legal and is the only way to reinstate the ilbc codec. The actual script to download the ilbc source itself is
included with the asterisk source, so it is sanctioned. ;)

** Make SURE you are in the ROOT of the asterisk source directory when you run the script to get the ilbc source
or the source files will NOT be where they are needed at compile time! **

[*]Run the script to download the ilbc source
Code:
/usr/src/asterisk-1.4.22/contrib/scripts/get_ilbc_source.sh
When you run it you will see a disclaimer and then the script will pause. Just hit enter and it will continue.
You will see a bunch of text scroll by, and then the message saying the source download is complete.

[*]Now, we need to prepare the build environment
Code:
make clean
[*]Next, configure the build system
Code:
./configure
Next, we have to configure what asterisk options we want compiled in through menuselect. I recommend you do NOT
change any options other than to enable the ilbc codec. If you do and it doesnt work after you're done don't
come crying to me. ;) Remember, there is no crying in open source!

Code:
make menuselect
When the menu appears, scroll down to #4, Codec translators.
All codecs marked to be compiled into asterisk will have an asterisk (pun there??) next to them. Scroll
down to #7, codec_ilbc, and press the space bar to select it. Hit the escape key to go back to the main menu,
then hit 'x' to exit and save your changes. (You wont see this on the menu, just do it.)

Now it's time to actually build the new version of asterisk and install it. This process will take a while,
so go get a cup of java, have a smoke, chase the wife or girlfriend around the bed, whatever floats your boat.
When it completes there will be a box explaining how to run 'make samples', etc. DO NOT do it or it will
overwrite your existing config files! There will be a warning about modules that were not placed there by
asterisk and to make sure they are compatible. Don't worry, they are. :)
Code:
make install
Now, we need to stop and start asterisk

Code:
amportal stop
Code:
amportal start
[*]Now connect to asterisk and check that we actually updated asterisk
Code:
asterisk -rvvvvv
Code:
core show version
It should now show Asterisk 1.4.22 built by root@your.pbx.name , instead of saying Asterisk 1.4.22rc5.

Enjoy!

wiseoldowl

k2kmb said:
Now it's time to actually build the new version of asterisk and install it.
And you were doing so well up to this point. Didn't you forget to tell us how to do that? I assume this is the point at which you do:

Code:
make
Code:
make install
At least I'm hoping that's what you do here because that's what I'm doing right now...

Edit: And apparently it worked, I'm now at 1.4.22. :laugh:

k2kmb

Right you are owlie, sorry agout the omission. A make install is all thats necessary. I have updated the post with the omission. Thanks for pointing it out!

Kevin

wiseoldowl

And I thought I was the only night owl around here. :laugh: I did both the make and make install, must not have hurt anything because it's working, but the make REALLY takes a long time!

k2kmb

Indeed it does take a while hence the free time "suggestions" i posted. ;) As long as it works that's what counts. :)

Kevin

Chilling_Silence

Chilling_Silence

Edit: Apologies, wrong thread

vmiro

Renew

I am trying to upgrade from 1.4.18 to the latest version 1.4.22
I followed these instructions except the amportal stop and start does not work so I reboot the system. After reboot the systems version is 1.4.22 but my FXO port does not work anymore. When I try to make a outgoing call I get error 603 on the phone, if I call in it just rings on other end, the asterisk does not see the incoming call.

Help ! I am new working with the Asterisk system and Linux, detailed instructions would be great.
The instructions from K2mb are great easy to follow :)

wiseoldowl

Just wanted to note that this method also appears to work with Asterisk 1.4.23-rc2 if you substitute the 1.4.23-rc2 (note the hyphen!) in place of 1.4.22 wherever it appears above. EDIT: However, with 1.4.23-rc2 I found that when watching the CLI, a couple of SIP extensions were continually re-registering. Dropping back to 1.4.22 stopped that, so something has been changed in the release candidate that might cause undesirable behavior.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fpino