HOWTO deploy large number of Aastra using Xml&tftp

Discussion in 'IP Phones' started by yesmat, Sep 11, 2009.

1. yesmat

Hi All,

We have a scenario coming up in 2 weeks where we need to deploy 30 Aastra 6755i phones.

This is a site where lots of Graphics and Media files are being emailed and exchanging hands between users on the LAN. So we thought it is better if we separate Voice from Data traffic by creating 2 separate VLANs.

Setup:
    Data VLAN=10
    Voice VLAN=20
    Linksys POE SMB LAN switches
    Cisco 1841 WAN router

Now, users on this site would like to connect their PCs to the back of the Aastra phones for obvious reasons.

The Aastra phones, out of the box, do not mark any traffic with any VLAN ID (Dot1q tag). The switch access ports for the phones/PCS will be configured with 2 VLANs (Untagged Data VLAN10 and Tagged Voice VLAN20).

I assume the following steps will happen (that's where I need some help and feedback)

1- When phones are connected to the switch, they will broadcase requesting an IP address from DHCP server.

2- Since phones at this stage are not using any VLAN taggs, then they will get an IP address from the native VLAN which is the data vlan10, where we have configure option 66 pointing to the Elastix server that's running the tftp server.

3- Phones will then download their aastra.cfg and <MAC>.cfg files from the Elastix server.

4- In the <MAC>.cfg file we configured the eth0 interface on the phone with VLAN20 while eth1 for the PC with VLAN4965 (Native VLAN)

5- We are hoping, at that stage, that the phones will reboot automatically and come up after that with both ethernet interfaces configured with the correct VLANs

6- Then they should request another IP addresses from the Voice VLAN20 DHCP scope.

7- Once they reeive IP addresses out of that scope then all is done.

8- PCs at the back of the phones on the other hand should receive addresses from the native VLAN which is VLAN10.

Is that the way it works? has anyone had to deploy phones and pcs in separate VLANs?

I belive this may be a question for Aastra1, but all inputs and feedback are weclome.

Thanks

2. mexifries

Re:HOWTO deploy large number of Aastra using Xml&t

Great question, I'm in the same boat in about two weeks, as well! We'll be tagging our VLANs at the same time! That is, if someone can answer your question.

3. yesmat

I am sure someone must have either done it or know what the Aastra phones boot process is.

4. VoIPDoug

I've done this many times, PM Me for contact info And I can get you the details. Bottom line you need your option 66 on your Default (untagged) Vlan to be set to your config server. YOu'll also need to configure your demo-user.prf to add the aastra VLAN configuration to fit your environment, for example add the following:

tagging enabled:1
    vlan id:20 ; (this is your VoIP VLAN as per your orig. post)
    tos priority map:(26,7)
    #vlan id port 1:2 ;( this would be set to 10 if your switch was tagging for both VLAN's)
    qos eth port 1 priority:3

this should assist but if you need more, as I Said, PM me.

5. yesmat

Hi,

I don't think this forum allows PM. I couldn't find any links to PM you...

6. VoIPDoug

7. yesmat

Untill i sort out how to PM you.

Do you recommend to add these config lines in demo-user.prf or aastra.cfg?

The way I understand it is that each phone will download only two files aastra.cfg and MAC.cfg. So if I add the VLAN info in aastra.cfg then that should work, especiall that these details are common for all phones.

My question is why do i need to edit demo-user.prf?

Thanks

8. VoIPDoug

the demo-user.prf file is what the XML app uses to create each custom <MAC>.cfg, that is why you need to add it there.

.prf is a custom extension that stephane at aastra used to describe as a "profile" extension.

9. yesmat

I PM'd you.

10. olivier1010

Having a split configuration process is dangerous. If you have a problem on the Data network, then you will be locked on the Telephony side because the phones won't be able to get the aastra.cfg file.

And you need to setup a tftp server on the data side to give the aastra.cfg file.

The best is to use LLDP VLAN announcement if your switch does support it, so that the phone can automatically configure himself on the right vlan directly at startup, just before DHCP request.

Then the phone get the configuration files from the telephony side, through DHCP option 66 or better through mDNS.

The advantage of using mDNS is that you can have more than one tftp server (more than one asterisk server), and choose wich one you want for configuration at boot time. In the LAB this is very usefull so that we can have all asterisk servers on the same sub network and autoconfigure phones on the right server at boot time.

Aastra phones do support LLDP vlan configuration by default. You can disable it to speed up booting if you don't need it :

lldp: 0

Just a note : on the Aastra phones, to get the Native Vlan on the PC port, you need to set vlan ID to 4095, not 4965 as you stated in your previous message.

All this is not difficult to implement, the harder part is to have a good understanding of how to setup routing between Vlans, and how to setup Vlans inside switches.

The router need as well to have a DHCP server configured with one zone on each vlan. Or simpler, you can have a separate DHCP server on each VLAN.