How to use 2 extensions with a single ISDN line

Discussion in 'General' started by konrous, Jun 2, 2009.

1. konrous

Hello,

I have an asterix installation with one ISDN BRI card.
    I setup a ring group with 2 extensions for the inbound calls.
    When an extension receives a call, I want the other one not to be able to receive more calls.
    I want this because I have one person who uses the 2 extensions (2 phones in 2 different rooms).
    I tried all the ring strategies, but with no luck.
    Actually, what I trying to do is to simulate the old 'Duplex' PSTN function

Could you please help me?

PS: The ringall-prim is the closer to what I want, but again this happens only for the first extension in the ring group.

2. telecomtechnician

Hi there, I do not understand what you are trying to achieve.

To understand it, I will ask you the following
    1) Does both extensions can receive two different calls at the same time (two incoming calls)?
    2) If the extensions are in separate rooms, why are they in a ring group? Do they belong to the same company?
    3)If you have two incoming calls and want to link one incoming call to only one specific extension, you have to create two incoming routes for each extension.

Waiting for your comments

David Medina

3. konrous

I'm sorry that I didn't make it clear.
    No, I want the two extensions to receive only call per time. Ideally the second call could be in a queue or hear the busy tone

This is a small hotel with a reception and an other room. The receptionist could be either in the reception or in the other room, but because we are talking for one person, he can not answer simultaneously the calls of the two extensions.

When I have two incoming calls I want the first one to be served by any extension and the second to here the busy tone.

I hope I make it clear know. Thank you for your support :)

4. rafael

Hi konrous and welcome to the Elastix forum.

This might not be the optimal solution but may give you the funcionallity you want. How about using an analog fxs card or ata and using the same cord for both extensions? That way it would be one extension with to phones as most people use in homes.

Other option could be to use the followme feature of Elastix and that one would make the reception phone ring first, after a while if it does no ring, then you would go to the next phone (the room one) and if no one answer there you can send the call to a mailbox or to bussy.

Hope that helps,

Rafael

5. konrous

Thank's for the warm welcome :)

Well, actually the first extension is the console of the reception(so, it can not be analog phone) and the second is a simple FXS phone.

The followme feature can not ring both of the phones simultaneously.

I'm new to elastix and I'm surprised that I can not simulate the simplest old technique of '2 phones, one line' that we had in most of our houses.