How to take Image of Elastix system

Discussion in 'General' started by Kranti, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Kranti

Hi,

We configured some extensions and etc in the elastix system. We need the same kind of configuration in many systems.

Can anybody suggest that how to take the image of the system into CD?

Thanks,

2. danardf

I think at : Norton Ghost

3. Kranti

I heard that Norton ghost is for Window Imaging. I need elastix (centOS) system image.

4. Usuarioforum

PBA. Personal Backup Apliance. Is an old distribution but if your hardware are supported is a very good solution.

Cheers

5. danardf

6. Kranti

Hi danard,

I didn't understood what you said.

Can you please explain how to imaging

Thanks

7. danardf

there's a linux command:
    >dd

With this dd command, you could make an iso file!

>dd if=/dev/hda of=/mnt/disk_sav/my_iso

You understand now? :blink:

8. rafael

just for the record /dev/hda equals your first ide hard drive. If you use sata or scci you would be using /dev/sda

What dd does is copy byte by byte and exact copy to the file you put on of. I don't think this image would fit on a cd. Normaly the hard drive would be several gb and a cd can only have around 700 MB, a dvd around 4 gb.

You could use dd to clone to hard discs and it would work good. What I would recomend you is to use the backaup restore module of Elastix. That way you only back up the important data and not the whole disc.

Regards,

Rafael

9. danardf

hi rafael.

If he want clone the config, for reinstall on several server, he can use an external hard disk and not a DVD.
    It's posssible no?

10. saleh

11. rafael

@danardf
    It is digital information so you can use any medium. The backup/restore module of Elastix is made for this.

Regards,

Rafael

12. lfain

13. mattrh

you can also use a product named Acronis. You can also admin it from a windows system. the best thing is that it will take a full image of the system while it is running and not interrupt your business. the down side is the price.

14. DaveD

You can not beat Mondo rescue, it just works is easy to setup and no down time to make the image

15. velez

The elastix or freepbx backup works all you need is winscp to get the tar from the existing pbx and copy it to the new pbx. The only issue I have is that you have go over the complete extensions. Other option is Ghost for Linux (it is an ISO) you boot the pbx and it allows you to create a image or copy two disk. The new disk must me same size or bigger. The partition will be the same size

16. lfain

Do you think that it is a good idea to make image of a live system?
    Also, as far as I remember Mondo makes full disk image. In contrust, rapid-recovery allows you don't copy some folders rather just their structure (directory names). For example, you can avoid copying of call recording files and voice mails.

17. mattrh

Acronis allows you to make full images, and you can also exclude files. it acts like a ghost software so there isnt any down time. we also have this loaded out on all our severs (75 windows, 12 linux) haven't had a problem yet. it also give you the option to make a boot cd that will make it so you can create an image in a boot loaded state, or reload an images.

you don't really want to avoid copying those files because it will cause errors on elastix with fire references that don't exist.

18. haamed

Wow really thanks, it works great,

19. itjumper

Acronis is great, but if you want real time backup, use mondo

20. userfromca

I have successfully made a copy of elastix hard drive using clonezilla. (Another great open source software like Elastix). I used this as a backup before doing yum update from Elastix 1.0 to 1.3-2.

http://clonezilla.org/

It even allows you copy from smaller drive to larger drive adjusting the size and many more things like copying image to Samba server etc.