how to start DHCP

Discussion in 'General' started by yukon9, Nov 7, 2010.

1. yukon9

I install two network card on elastix, recognized. one is connected to cable modem with IP DHCP from ISP; another network card connected to a switch for internal IP phone or computer use.

After I login in elastix web-gui, and click enable DHCP server, but failed and show" THE server dhcpd can't start".

Anyone can tell me how to set it or anything wrong?

2. andyshawn

What version of elastix are you using?

Starting the DHCP service should be pretty simple. On the DHCP Server Configuration page, after you enter the range, it should be a simple as hitting the Save and then Enable DHCP button.

3. dicko

Did you enter the values as needed, only the start and end are required the others fields are only necessary for your machines (not phones) that need access to the internet, both these values need to be within your LAN ip space

Start range of IPs: * . . .
    End range of IPs: * . . .
    IP Address Lease Time: * (Of 1 to 50000 Seconds)
    DNS 1: . . . (Optional)
    DNS 2: . . . (Optional)
    WINS: . . . (Optional)
    Gateway: . . . (Optional)

If you use the box as a router, you will need to allow ip forwarding from the Lan interface, Elastix has no way of helping you with that, I suggest Webmin for a newbie. However Elastix defaults are intrinsically insecure (basically no firewall) you will need one if you so deploy.

4. yukon9

Thank you very much! I didn't enter the value at the first, after doing that, DHCP starts very easily.

My initial purpose is to avoid future change on nat-setting if external IP changed. You are righ: It's not safe if direct connecting to internet, but I don't understand the purpose that DHCP is builded in elastix. Please comment it.

5. andyshawn

Hey Yukon9,

Let me give you a scenario of why DHCP is built into asterisk. Suppose you are setting up a LAN, with an elastix server and a couple IP phones, then you would just use the elastix server to issue IP addresses to all your phones without the need for a router.

I think dicko might agree with my response.

6. yukon9

I also assume what you mentioned at first, but usually PC and desk IP phone will share the same network cable(IP phone with ROUTER). If so, computer applications like internet browser and download will increase the pressure of elastix server, and also need to do something for internet access, so I am not sure now.

7. andyshawn

No Yukon9, i don't think you are understanding me.
    1. A DHCP server is not a router. All it does is issue IP addresses to devices on the network that make a request for an IP.

2. The scenario that i mentioned above, is a typical LAB scenario. I do this all the time. In a lab, all you need is a elastix server and a couple IP phones and you do your testing. There is no need for an internet connection. elastix nor the IP phones need internet access to function.

8. dicko

yukon9 :

If you don't understand routing and Firewalls, you are seriously out of your depth, for your own sanity, immediately STOP what you are doing until you so understand, when you achieve that understanding, all will be totally transparent. If you are unsure then please RTFM, that would be all of them . if you are still unsure http://www.google.com,

9. yukon9

Many thanks, dicko and Andyshawn! OK. I will do some research first

10. dicko

Then you will now be a wise virgin. please everyone else think before doing. or posting, knowledge is king.