How to setup Wildcard TDM400P

Discussion in 'General' started by drinkndrive, Sep 23, 2009.

1. drinkndrive

im a newbie.... i got soft-phones to talk to other soft-phone within LAN...and i have a Wildcard TDM400P card install on my server...and the problem is ...i want to use a standard phone that connects to the card and be able to make call to my other soft-phone within LAN....any one know how to do this ?

PS: Elastix has already detected my hardware...but i have no idea what is the next step...

Ps: im using Elastix 1.1-7

2. DaveD

You Have the TDM400P card but to connect a standard analog phone you will need an FXS module on the card, do you have this ?

Also I recommend Elastix without tears as a good read to set you in the right direction

3. drinkndrive

hi DaveD !
    thanks for answering my question.

i have 2 FXO on port #1 and #2 and both are active....!!!
    do i need FXS ? or FXO would work just fine ?

i have read tho Elastix without tears ....but i still don't get it....
    i wonder ...if i only want to use the analog phone in LAN ..do i need to setup "incoming route" "outbound route" and "ZAP Trunk" ? can't i just set it up like how i done it with soft-phone or SIP phone by giving it an extension number and point it to the TDM400P port #1 ? ...

4. dicko

Before Elastix . . .

We had a physical "Telephone", (which was pretty stupid on it's own) and we paid a "Telephone Company" every month for a "Telephone Line", which was clever and made our phone ring when somebody called that number, and listened to what a "Telephone" had to say.

Connect a "Telephone" to a "Telephone Line" and it works!

"Telephone Lines" connect to FXO ports, (Technically the FXO ports "sink" current) , "Telephones" connect to FXS ports (Technically The FXS ports "source" current).

You have two FXO ports, you can connect them to "telephone Lines", and make and take calls to that "Telephone Number", from any extension that Elastix provides (IVR, Groups etc . . .), including your Softphones, as would be regular "Telephone" looking things (I include regular telephones, fax machines, and PBX devices) that you would connect to an FXS port (which you don't have yet).

That was just a very quick recap of the first 150 years of telephony, Telephony just connects a "Telephone" to another "Telephone".

Elastix, (and VOIP in general) allows you to be, in effect, the "Telephone Company", you get to choose who gets where and who goes where, and you make a buck on the transactions (If you get it right!).

I hope that helped,

Ongoing refs perhaps:
    "Elastix Without Tears"
    http://voip-info,org

dicko

5. drinkndrive

thank you ... i have a good understanding of how TMD400P works now .:) .

but it turn out i still can't get the analog phone going ...so i decided to give up and just use the softphone instead...

thanks again for all the help :)

6. dicko

Your Welcome, buy an FXS port for your hardware, plug the phone into it and it will.

7. drinkndrive

i wonder....is it becoz i was using a core-less phone ? that causes the problem ?.....
    would a standard phone with core ....work ? .......

hehehehe :p