How to setup Trunk for outbound only

Discussion in 'General' started by jandir, Sep 17, 2008.

1. jandir

I have a zap trunk that I want to use for outbound calls only. For incoming calls I have a fax machine to take the call. The Fax machine is connected in parallel to the Elastix box directly to the POTS line.

However for an incoming call on the POTS line the Elastix box tries to route the call using one of the inbound routes. I have a IPKall inbound route for Any DID/Any CID which, I believe, tries to handle the call and rings a group of extensions.

How do I stop Elastix from handling any incoming calls on the Zap trunk?

Thank you.

2. jandir

Another related question

"How can I tie or bind an inbound route to one or more trunks?"

3. busster8

Remove all incoming routes.

4. jandir

Well... I do need to handle incoming Calls, just not from this trunk.

5. busster8

Asterisk does not determine the incoming call. Your service provider does. If you have sip trunks from providerA and providerB, you can direct your outbound calls over which ever provider you want. The incoming calls are determined by which ever provider has the local telephone number(s) or toll free services you subscribed to. If you are getting 5 channels from providerA on telephone number 212-555-1234, ProviderB does not terminate this calls. You arrange with providerA your incoming calls.

6. busster8

If the fax line is terminated both on the fax and into the Asterisk box, make the incoming destination with in Asterisk an extension without voicemail. It will ring both at the fax and Asterisk. Asterisk will just let it ring, Fax will autoanswer after a couple of rings.

7. mvrossum

Old posts are still very helpfull !
    thanks for this solution, works like a charm !

8. fmvillares

of course they are, thats the point of search engines!!! maybe a little karma up to the guy that post the solution will help even more

9. jandir

Eventually I had setup NVFax to receive faxes instead of the Fax machine. That way i could also use the POTS line to receive voice calls since NVFax could distinguish between voice and fax call and would route the incoming call accordingly. Also, receiving faxes digitally was more convenient.

The Fax machine was still connected to the the line but only used to send faxes.