HOW TO LIMIT THE INBOUND CALLS

Discussion in 'General' started by striderec, Jul 29, 2010.

1. striderec

Greetings,

I know I can limit the outgoing calls in Elastix by setting up a trunk accordingly to my needs.

However, what I want to do is limit the INBOUND calls my Elastix box can receive from a certain DID because my DID provider can't do that. I need to force a specific DID to allow 2 incoming calls and reject the rest. This DID provider offers me the best deal for incoming channels pricing that no one else can along with an extraordinary reliability and superb customer service, hence, asking me to look for a provider able to limit the inbound calls from their side is -NOT- an option.

How can I do that?

Thank you in advance,

Paul

2. dicko

From the hover-over box on the trunk setup page

Maximum Channels

Controls the maximum number of outbound channels (simultaneous calls) that can be used on this trunk. To count inbound calls against this maximum, use the auto-generated context: from-trunk-sip-<something> as the inbound trunk's context. (see extensions_additional.conf) Leave blank to specify no maximum.

There is no reason not to build two trunks, one to and one from your provider just fill in only the appropriate box and only use a register string if you use one on the inbound trunk.

dicko

3. striderec

Hi Dicko:

Thank you, I have read that but this provider only offers IP authorization for provision and there is no need to create a trunk for their service, you just have to set up an inbound route on your Elastix and point it to whatever you want.

If that's the case, what can we do, then? Also, if i set a maximum number of calls on the trunk it will affect my outbound calls too. I want to limit their incoming calls not both the incoming and outgoing (Less profit for me if I limit the call terminations)

Thank you.

Paul.

4. dicko

Kind of a Catch-22 there Rosarian,

That sort of trunking is not used to be throttled,

I guess you could send the inbound to a firstnotonphone ring-group of 2 and do the custom-extension/custom-destination thingy.

give the no answer destination as busy.

dicko

5. striderec

Thanks for the info Dicko,

Would you mind to give me an example of what you are asking me to do?

Let's suppose the DID is 786.444.2222 and the RingGroup name is "VM-2LINES"

Thank you in advance,

PAUL

6. dicko

:) :)

Nice try, I'm not asking you to do anything, that's your homework, not mine.

But there are plenty of good sources around, here and elsewhere that will explain ring-groups and how to use them as the destination of an inbound route.

dicko

7. striderec

Hi Dicko:

I know how to work with ring groups quite well but your last comment sounded like you had a special trick along with its configuration. My bad as it seems.

In any case, thanks, I'll figure out what to do on my own.

- Paul

8. dicko

Well I don't know what you are trying to do or why.

As you probably know, there a couple of ways to throttle calls, the easiest is a ring-group, you can also use a queue, but if as it sounds you have some strange esoteric set up then you can make a custom destination and attach it to a custom extension and use that in the RG.

Had you started with a more complete and specific description of what you had , what you had tried, and what wasn't working for you someone might have had a more specific answer.

dicko

9. striderec

Dicko:

I'll explain my situation with further details now.

Here is the scenario:

With my current origination provider (they do not offer call termination services) I have purchased 10 DIDs and 20 simultaneous channels that I wanted to distribute between those 10 DIDs according to my needs and interests, however, just a week ago I realized that they do not have the technology to separate the amount of channels I want neither per DID nor per IP address like other providers do, they just do it on a "main account level"

As you can imagine, I am not going to open 2,3,4,...,n accounts with them just for the sake to distribute the simultaneous channels the way I want, hence, in my current situation one of my DIDs could potentially use the 20 simultaneous channels and leave the other 9 DIDs with busy tones (no spare channels to use) and that is what I want to avoid.

For that reason I need to find an alternative / strategy on my Asterisk / Elastix server to force each of my DIDs to use the max amount of channels that I want them to use, let's say, DID1 can use up to 5 channels, DID2 can use up to 3 channels and so on.

Do you see the things clearer now, Dicko?

If so, please let me know what we could do, otherwise I can provide you even more information.

As an extra, I call tell you that I have an Elastix server with 10 IPs that I use to serve many customers. My origination provider has setup 1 trunk per IP on their side for my convenience (Basically, to choose between g729 or g711 as the voice codecs depending on each DID/IP)

Thank you, I'll be waiting for your answers.

- Paul

10. dicko

To what destination do the inbound routes go to currently, an extension, a RG, an IVR?

11. striderec

Hi again, Dicko!

The destination of the inbound route for the DID I want to limit with 2 incoming calls is currently going to a RG with a "ringall" ring strategy, 40 seconds as max ring time and 4 extensions in the extensions list.

The failover destination goes to the unavailable voicemail message of one of the 4 extensions.

- Paul

12. dicko

Then that will probably not be a problem , I refer you to

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erlang_%28unit%29

which talks about traffic engineering on phone networks, you are "over-subscribed" but only by a 2.5:1 factor including the VM, and you have to factor in that probably half the call volume will be outbound and not relevant as you state that traffic is on other trunking, most real world companies work more on a 10:1 ratio, true they have a larger base to do the stats on, but you are a pared down version and might get a little more congestion statistically than the Telcos do, try getting dial tone after an earthquake in California, the probability of everyone being on the phone at the same time is unlikely unless you sold your service to a call center (in which case you screwed up :) )

If you try and engineer a strict 1:1 then you might spend the next 150 years learning what AT&T learned in 20.

dicko

13. striderec

Oh my........ Well Dicko, guess what? One of my customers has a call center with 10 agents, I sold them 11 simultaneous channels and the customer I want to limit to 2 incoming calls originally paid for 4 channels but wanted a downgrade of 2...... According to your last message.... then I "I screwed up" lol.. now, according to my personal monitoring on these guys at the call center...... I've never seen then using more than 8 channels so far..... maybe their dialer do not trigger that many calls at once.......

What else could we do now?

- Paul

14. dicko

Use call limited queues, buy more trunks ?, or get egg on your face :)

and what's this "we" shit Kimosabi ? :)

15. striderec

LOL.. eggs on my face sounds like the best option, hehehe....

Well, here's the nice thing...... the customer who asked me for the downgrade do not receive many calls at all. That's the one using the RG I mentioned in the previous message and the one who needs 2 incoming, concurrent calls.

The customer with the call center has 11 phones, 11 extensions (10 agents, 1 manager) and their DID points to a queue for sure.

Question is... I've set the queue to a max 10 persons who could get in and the failover has been set to the manager's voicemail extension.

Does it mean that the 11 phones could be busy with an incoming call and another 10 persons are floating inside the queue until they get attended for a total of 21 incoming calls? Or, instead, is every person counting as the max count regardless of their status in the queue? (Attended by an agent or waiting for attention).

In my knowledge, i believe that the scenario of the 21 incoming calls is what sounds more accurate given the nature of the queue itself (wait until you are attended and if so, you leave the queue and your slot is free for another incoming call)

Thanks!

- Paul

16. dicko

If you choose the appropriate ring strategy, "skip busy agents", allow autofill and allow just a couple in the queue , (you will need to experiment with that or get inopportune overflows) you can pare it down significantly. They are no longer in the Queue when the call is handed off.

dicko

17. striderec

Hi Dicko,

I already had skip busy agents and autofill activated and the ring strategy is "rrmemory". I set the max callers to 2 instead of 10 and we will see how it works. I believe that in the worst of scenarios, with the 10 agents busy with incoming calls they would never use more than 12 simultaneous channels of my pack.

Anyway, thank you very much. A karma point 4 ya! I am crossing fingers on this!

- Paul