How to get external SIP phone to be registered

Discussion in 'General' started by cfwong.86, Apr 22, 2009.

1. cfwong.86

hi,

I am newbie to this PBX, currently i am facing an issue, i cannot get my external SIP phone to be register on the server. in my case, i got 2 office, let say OFFICE A and OFFICE B, my asterisk server is located at OFFICE A and there are several SIP phone in OFFICE B.

these are the settings in my sip.conf

[general]
    bindport = 5060
    bindaddr = 0.0.0.0
    disallow=all
    allow=alaw
    allow=ulaw

context = from-sip-external

nat=yes
    externip=x.x.x.x (which is my OFFICE B public address
    localnet=x.x.x.x/submask (which is my OFFICE A internal network address)
    quality=yes

these are the settings in my sip_nat.conf

nat=yes
    externip=x.x.x.x (which is my OFFICE B public address
    localnet=x.x.x.x/submask (which is my OFFICE A internal network address)

is there any mistake that i had done, can anyone please correct me or suggest me.

thankyou

best regards
    WONG CF

2. dicko

First off "Welcome to Elastix!"

Well mistakes perhaps but mostly lack of understanding. . .
    Please read "Elastix without Tears".

externip refers to the address on the public internet that the asterisk box is exposed on by the firewall.

sip_nat.conf is include by sip.conf (#include sip_nat.conf (et al)) which is the authoritative file (just read sip.conf, it explains it) so any later included statement overides a previous declaration.\

You need to better understand contexts before you decide to do it in a non-standard way. . . .context = from-sip-external . . . might well just mess things up when in the general section.

the phones in Office B won't be able to see the asterisk box if you told asterisk it is on
    . . . externip=x.x.x.x (which is my OFFICE B public address . . .
    In fact asterisk won't really work at all for any calls as the the responses to the Sip messages will be sent to you Office B (where the server isn't) . . .

so just slow down, read the book, and then feel welcome to come back here to fix any problems that persist.

Get it working locally first with a trunk and a couple of local extensions, when that works add the remote extensions

Good luck, (it really does work as advertised)

3. cfwong.86

hi dicko,

thanks for your reply. i will try to go through "Elastix without Tears".

thank you
    Wong CF

4. ramoncio

Hi cfwong, wellcome to the forum!
    If you have two offices you should consider deploying a VPN between them.
    You can get a couple of vpn routers, or maybe OpenVPN is also an option, if you have a linux server at each place.
    With the VPN you will forget about NAT issues and all your data and voice traffic will be encrypted.
    For your home is ok, but for an office I would definitely go for the VPN link.

5. cfwong.86

hi ramoncio, thanks for you advice. Actually we do plan to have vpn between both office in future, but the first assignment on me is to welly understand how to deal with Elastix. btw, thanks for your reply and suggestion, at least i get a vote for the VPN between both office.

6. ramoncio

I would also get fixed ips at the offices, if possible, so you won't have to deal with dyndns, no-ip and similars.

7. mattrh

Hello cfwong!!! An easy way of doing the vpn's, is get 2 sonic walls. great intrusion preventions and the SSL VPN is great. Make sure you subnet correctly! do you have any windows boxes in your environment?