How to check software RAID status?

Discussion in 'General' started by westcomlimited, Feb 9, 2011.

1. westcomlimited

I have a relatively new install of Elastix that I cannot remember if I setup software RAID on or not when I installed it.

If there some way I can tell if it is Mirrored?

I tried running cat /proc/mdstat but all it returned was:

Personalities :
    unused devices: <none>

This looks to me like it is not RAID or it is not detecting it correctly.

2. dicko

Your disk partitions will be exposed with:-

cat /proc/partitions

Real Raids will usually expose themselves here, the won't be /dev/hda? or /dev/sda?
    , mostsocalled motherboard raids are software based, and to be honest , are far worst preforming and more error prone than a linux software raid.

3. dicko

Your disk partitions will be exposed with:-

cat /proc/partitions

Real Raids will usually expose themselves here, the won't be /dev/hda? or /dev/sda?
    , mostsocalled motherboard raids are software based, and to be honest , are far worse preforming, un-tunable and more error prone than a linux software raid.

4. westcomlimited

Here is the output of that command
    major minor #blocks name

8 0 78156288 sda
    8 1 104391 sda1
    8 2 78051802 sda2
    8 16 78156288 sdb
    8 17 78156193 sdb1
    253 0 152043520 dm-0
    253 1 4128768 dm-1

Looks like it is Mirrored?

In case it wasn't clear I am asking about a Elastix installed Software Mirror, not any other type of RAID.

5. dicko

Not at the Centos OS level vm extends your root across two drives and you only have a boot partion on sda , good luck when a drive breaks :)

dicko

6. fmvillares

agree with dicko ...buy a real raid 1 system...you re not protected right now
    and 1 item to share...if a file gets corrupted in a raid or the particion breaks the raid will be copying across the mirror that information also...so any raid 1 or 5 or 10 only protects you of hardware failures...not errors up to the software world...

7. westcomlimited

I am aware of how RAID works thanks so I am of course aware that it will not protect against software failure.

Perhaps you misunderstood the term "software RAID"
    What I thought was common knowledge is that software RAID is setup by an OS and not a battery backed up hardware controller.

I admit I am not very linux savy, but all I want is to setup a linux software RAID mirror for elastix.

It was my impression that Elastix could do this at installation, are you saying that this is not the case?

8. dicko

Yes you can as you install Elastix by manually partitioning the two drives, I suggest something like for a raid 1 :-

100 M for /boot use /dev/sda1 and /dev/sdb1 as /dev/md0
    1.5 * memory for swap use /dev/sda2 and /dev/sda2 as /dev/md1
    6G for / use /dev/sda3 /dev/sdb3 as /dev/md2
    the rest for /var use /dev/sda4 /dev/sdb4 as /dev/md3

make each partition of type fd (raid partition), then build the md0-md3 from those partitions.

Alternatively do a mondoarchive iso/usb/nfs image, and restore from that into a manually prepared partition system, (much like the above) you'll need to do a little RTFM'ing to get the handle of mondoarchive/mondorestore do the expert thing and issue an export TERM=vt100 so you don't go blind :)

It is possible to migrate to raid "on the fly" there are a few recipes here and else where, but it's a little ballsy and you will need a third disk temporarily as the default partitioning uses volume manager and extends everything over both drives.

When done, make sure grub is installed on both /dev/sda and /dev/sdb

(I'm sure you also know not to confuse a real raid controller with a cheap motherboard raid controller, I say this as your posted bug says you have a raid 5 hardware controller, but your previous post seems to identify two raw scsi/sata disks )

9. westcomlimited

OK thanks again Dicko

My bug report is from a different machine to what I am wanting to RAID, as you said that machine has a hardware RAID 5.