how to change webgui default password;PaloSanto

Discussion in 'General' started by farrukhndm, Jul 21, 2010.

1. farrukhndm

Dear all,
    i want to place my elastix on Public Ip , so i need to change web GUI default password(PaloSanto),please help me?

thanks and waiting .

2. dicko

It's really quite simple, you go to "user management", then chose "users" then choose the user you want to change the password for, in your case choose admin , although it is not "the default" user, it is indeed quite a powerful user, by derivation, that is what I believe you mean, then choose to "edit" the user, select the "password" field and then by typing different letters and numbers in the field press enter (don't forget what you typed, it might be a problem later) in the next field named "Retype password" type the same string again, type exactly the same thing in again and press the then "apply changes" button, just in case you are still confused, the default password for admin is "palosanto" and not "PaloSanto", it's just a quirk in Linux which cares to be case sensitive, you will actually have to use that default password "palosanto" to actually log in as admin to change it.

I hope that helped. (did you read "Elastix Without Tears" yet, it might help also. )

If you put your machine on the Public Network you might want to also change the default admin/admin access to https://<myhopefullysecurebutpublicserver>/admin (the default un-embedded FreePBX server), it is a far better known attack vector. Seriously, go check it out in any browser!

I also apologize preemptively to anyone who thinks I am being an a**hole :) (Come on guys, he asked, I answered ! )

3. farrukhndm

Thanks Karma,i have changed Elastix webGui password from UserManagement, Great.
    Can you tell me how i can change default freePBX password admin/admin ?

4. dicko

Try the administrators management page.

5. Patrick_elx

if you put your server on a public ip without any more protection and you are asking about how to change these two passwords, my guess is that you are not really familiar with all the other issues related to pbx attacks.
    Read carefully all the posts regarding how to secure your box as you will probably expose yourself to a lot of problems....

keywords: fail2ban, ssh login, firewall, roundcube attacks, extension strong password and permit/deny, fop password, MySQL password,...

6. farrukhndm

Thanks karma for your suggestion.