How to access to Elastix's mysql from outside

Discussion in 'General' started by kalderista, Mar 5, 2010.

1. kalderista

I will apreciate any information for this issue. I want to access to the mysql database of elastix from a worksation. I'm trying to conect a report manager but I have no idea what parameters I need.

I'm trying to connectto it but it seems it's not allowed in elastix distribution by default.

Any idea? Documentation?

Thanx

2. dicko

The documentation is all at mysql:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/

your version is:

mysql -V

basically you need to add a user with as little permissions as possible with access to as few tables as necessary, then allow tcp 3306 through your firewall.

3. kalderista

But do I have to configure "bind-address = 0.0.0.0" somewhere?

4. dicko

I don't understand your question, bind-address of "what" to "everywhere" ?

5. kalderista

I mean,

is there any conf file lyke my.conf hwere I have to allow external connections? is it allowed by default? Just set permissions on database user?

Thanx dicko!

6. dicko

The user you will create to make the connection will have the permission to access your box from wherever you give that user permission to do so and with whatever permissions you give him, (provided your router allows that access), just try the mysql documentation. you will find it very informative.

By default the only account is root from localhost (127.0.0.1) I suggest you do not under any circumstances expand the privileges of that account

dicko

7. apmuthu

Use phpMyAdmin (browser based access) or for Windows based access use SQLyog (www.webyog.com) and upload their tunnel file or use SSH access method and access the MySQL DB even as root!

8. kalderista

I've tried it and it works, thank you.

Anyway, it should be nice to connect to the DB from the LAN...

9. dicko

That's why and when you create an account with well considered permissions.

be careful of phpmyadmin, if you're not aware of it's intrinsic security issues check your http/*_error_log s for drive-by attempts at that web directory (or one like it), If you do use it please read their own documentation as to securing it. Presenting the mysql root user on a web page open to anyone is a trainwreck waiting to happen.

JM2CWAE