how reliable asterisk is?

Discussion in 'General' started by khalid, Oct 9, 2010.

1. khalid

Hi,
    I am new to VoIP systems. I want to run an internal PBX to a small company. the issue that since they have a customer care part, it should be very reliable. The question is, how often asterisk fails?

the installation will be in a good PC, but not a dedicated server. I am using elastix by the way. Help me please.

2. osmose

Asterisk is as good as the installer can do it.

Is enough fail safe to be trusted by carriers, Telecomms companies and Call cenres all over the world.Stability is something that has to do with who and how you install.

I would not recommend the VM installation for a production system. But this is solely my experience.I would prepfer to run it in a rather weak machine but dedicated.

In any case I would recommend, as you are new to voip, to understand the needs of the customer, take the machine and built it in your lab, tested for a couple of days, especially the features that they neeed, fix any problems that may occur and the install it as production system.

RGDS

3. Lee Sharp

Is it a junky old PC with an old power supply? Is it plugged into the wall with no battery backup? Is the climate control shut off for the weekend?

I have systems up for years, but I keep the dust out, run battery backups, and replace cheap power supplies with good ones.

The software is very stable, but the hardware is totally under your control.

4. andyshawn

I have been using asterisk for over 4 years now and i found out about elastix about 2 years ago and i have been using it in production environments and it is pretty stable.
    I would not recommend using the 2.0 version as yet. The 1.6 version is very solid and you should use that version for now.

5. trymes

As others have mentioned, the main variable here is not the software. It is the person who chooses the hardware, installs the system, configures everything, and maintains is once it is set up.

Asterisk is quite stable, but its flexibility leaves lots of doors open to inexperienced sysadmins.

6. khalid

Thanks All. :D
    OK, another question, has any one tried sangoma A200 Card to connect to PSTN. if not, what is the best FXO card to connect to pstn?

7. Lee Sharp

You may want to start a new thread for this. Right now only people looking at "Asterisk reliability" are looking at your thread. That said...

I have used OpenVox in the past. They are very cheap copies of standard cards. Support is very bad, and you may have to tweak things. Also, some things may never work just right. See my posts in http://www.elastix.org/en/component/kun ... hacks.html and http://www.elastix.org/en/component/kun ... -110p.html for an example. I know have the OpenVox card working, but some features are not working, and I do not know if it is the card, or a configuration issue, or my T1 provisioning... If I had it to do over again, I would get the Sangoma. Rhino is also mentioned as a good one.

8. mahpayma

Hi all,
    I have been introduced to Elastix for about 3 months and have installed it in my lab for testing purpose several times but, the only problem is that the installation process is automated and like installing some linux distros it does note allow you to fine tune your installation.
    one other issue is that there is not much doc's about tuning elastix server,for example mysql db should be fine tuned very week or so depending on the amount of data that has been put to it and so on...

Can anyone offer a elasix maintenance guide for the voip server to make it run as smooth as possible.

9. glennbtn

We have been using it for a couple of years with 1000's of calls goign through the system a day. Just make sure you setup a firewall correctly and have something like fail2ban is place to stop the hackers.

Glenn

10. andyshawn

I agree with what you say Glenn. Ensure that you configure a firewall or install fail2ban, which will help in blocking the hackers from taking over your system. Ensure that the password for your extension are not easy to guess, make them as strong as possible.

Elastix is just great, you shouldn't have much to worry about. I have deployed several installation and they are all running perfectly.

11. mahpayma

please dont forget to update as their is a security hole in 1.5 and 1.6!!!!!
    can you please tell me why they have designed several version 1.5 1.6 and 2.0.3???

12. mahpayma

It really depends on you budget, you can buy cheap Atcome cards with half of the price of the Digium and the quality is about 30% less the original Digium.

13. djuhnke

I would recommend getting the digium cards. Are they more expensive? yes. Will they last for years without a headache? yes. Buy a cheaper card and its like buying a ferrari and putting on brakes for a yugo. Just doesn't make sense.

Dan