How do I take an image of the entire Elastix Disk

Discussion in 'General' started by MGG, Mar 26, 2010.

1. MGG

MGG

:dry:

I have an external drive and using Acronis. How would I take an image of the whole Centos/Elastx partision

2. dicko

You don't need windoze software

you have already:-

dd (man dd but basically dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=1M where /dev/sda is your elastix disk and /dev/sdb is your external drive)

and with a little effort:-

mondorescue is a little more elegant and covers your ass normally

wget -P /etc/yum.repos.d/ mondorescue.muskokamug.org/rhel/5/mondorescue.repo; yum -y install mondo; yum -y update mondo

(a oneliner) then

mondoarchive

or

partimage (part of clonezilla and a slew of other "suites" ) but the system needs to be "off-line"

There are plenty of posts here as to the hows and the wherefore of "imaging"

I guess you could use acronis but that's a question for a windozer

dicko

3. Kalama Sutra

Re:How do I take an image of the entire Elastix Di

Hi DickO,

in your one liner above :woohoo: AND with a "standard" elastix install, should that read ".... muskokamug.org/centos/5/ ... " ???

thanks,

Ol' Fat finger'd Jim ... must have hit 'em with my FFH ( fricken' framin' hammer ) <G>

4. dicko

no centos is really redhat

If you tried to get the centos mndo*.repo change the one liner to:

rm -f /etc/yum.repos.d/mondo*.rep;wget -P /etc/yum.repos.d/ mondorescue.muskokamug.org/rhel/5/mondorescue.repo; yum -y install mondo; yum -y update mondo

5. Kalama Sutra

Thanks Dicko,

It must have been FFH ! Rather than me typing it at my terminal on my test machine, I used Webmin from my Mac and did a copy / paste from your posting to "Others -> Command Shell" ... and it just did what it was 'sposed to do. Even "mondoarchive" comes up nice and Blue & Red ...

That's good for a karmalizing I should say. ;)

Jim

6. dicko

Ah you never fessed up to being a mac-dude, I think you should find that ssh root@<elastix-box-ip> from the "terminal" should work just fine for copy-ing and paste-ing into a bash shell.

dicko

(thanks for the caramels)

7. Kalama Sutra

Dicko

Well, I'm off to my local home depot to get a HD to run "test" on my practice box ... then it's off to the races to fix my production machine.

Yep, the 'ol 128 still boots .... ran a 2 line Telefinder bbs back in '90 off of an LC ... pissed off the windoze folk's plenty 'cause my CD reader had more Window's 3.0 software available then the rest of the community hehehe Back in the days when AOL was the good choice, better'n "Prodigy" ... But, being a Mac-Dude, I can't type ... all I can do is point - n - click - n - drag; I can never find that darned DWIM button anywhere. <G>

Jim

ps. I ain't gonna be the one to 69 you though ... and with a log on name such as yours ... go figure !

8. dicko

:) :)

Don't you miss those days of a blurry green and black terminal, that actually "did things" ?

regards

dicko

9. MGG

MGG

Thanks Guys,

All the above is a clear as mud to me. In between time I actualy got WinDoze to work and Acronus worked booting off the Acronus Recovery CD and just pointing it to the linux partician I was able to image the disk onto my external drive.

You guys realy confused me when you bought Mac into the dicussion. That sent me into a big spin.

:laugh:

10. Kalama Sutra

MGG Sorry - could be just a couple of old farts reminissing. Anything referencing a Mac, use your hammer and pound your monitor with great vigor ... Listen to what Dicko sez, consider my feeble inserts, and if the Mrs. asks, "What are you doing at this time of night ?" You can honestly answer, "Not sex ... " and plan on sleeping with the dog ... <GGG>

11. dicko

MGG:

I'm sorry it wasn't clear, it will be in time.

Be very careful in your understanding of the difference between a disk and a partition, there is more than one partition used in Elastix.

Be very careful that you can restore a working system from "dead metal" before you commit to your chosen solution, if you can't restore the whole system (which is normally disk based) then you are screwed, before anything else make sure the restore bit works.

dicko