How do I change my extension's outbound CID number

Discussion in 'General' started by GeoRu, Feb 7, 2011.

1. GeoRu

No matter what settings I have tried I cannot seem to change my extension's outbound CID number. What's the trick?

I am only trying to change the number, I realize that I cannot change the text that is transmitted.

2. fmvillares

simply you cant ...in pstn world you only can change your cid in the numbers you own example for 305 356 1800 to 99 /(digital t1 pri trunk) you only can change cid from 3561800 to 1899
    in analog lines its not possible at all because every line is a physical circuit in sip world is the same of t1

3. GeoRu

Are you saying that Elastix cannot do this or that it cannot be done on a SIP line?

We currently have an Altigen phone system with SIP lines and I can type whatever number I want to appear in the transmitted CID, even numbers that we do not own. So it's clear to me that it technically can be done. I would really be surprised if Elastix could not do this.

4. fmvillares

asterisk has any capabilities to manipulate cid...in e1 lines in pstn world and real sip trunks you shouldnt / cant alter any cid because its illegal...
    if your sip provider let you alter CID you will be infringing some countries laws...
    its up to your sip provider the cid manipulation in this case...in the usa / spain / argentina etc this is strictly forbidden by law in the providers and of cousr you cant alter cid by any with any changes made being blocked by the provider.

5. GeoRu

Your response is not clear to me. Can I change the transmitted caller ID on the outbound call? Yes or No?

If yes, where is this defined? I need to have a specific transmitted caller ID for each user's extension.

6. dicko

Please read "Elastix Without Tears", I'm sure it will save you many posts here, basically you set it in the extension page in the appropriate field.

"My name"<13235551212>

As pointed out, severally, this might be overridden or denied by your provider, if they don't or won't accept it the call might fail, most TDM circuits you are limited to using the "common block" you have been assigned, many SIP providers limit you to using the DID's you have purchased from them, the trunk itself can be set to override the extension requested CID.

from the trunk page itself:-

Block Foreign CallerIDs

(and the mouse over help)

Some VoIP providers will drop the call if you try to send an invalid CallerID (one you don't 'own.' Use this to never send a CallerID that you haven't explicitly specified in this trunk or in the outbound callerid field of an extension/user. You might notice this problem if you discover that Follow-Me or RingGroups with external numbers don't work properly. Checking this box has the effect of disabling 'foreign' callerids from going out this trunk. You must define an Outbound Caller ID on the this trunk when checking this.

What works for you will need to be within this schema, there are no hard and fast rules.