How can we delay IVR input so extensions work?

Discussion in 'General' started by RustBoy, Apr 15, 2011.

1. RustBoy

When a caller goes into our IVR they are not able to dial our staff extension numbers because the IVR is immediately trying to direct them to one of the options in our call tree.

How can we insert a delay so the caller can go to "extension 216" without be immediately routed to IVR option "2" for our sales department?

2. jgutierrez

On the IVR setup there is an option that asys something like: "Enable direct dial", that will let you dial on the IVR your internal extensions.

3. RustBoy

Yeah, that's the problem, I had already had that option checked and it's still not working.

4. RustBoy

Does anyone have any suggestions? We are supposed to go live with our Elastix server in 12 hours and it's going to be a major problem for us if callers cannot dial extensions.

5. RustBoy

I found a temporary solution. I manually entered all of the extension numbers as options within the IVR.

6. RustBoy

I came across this post in the Asterisk forum:

Unable to dial extensions from IVRs

This information is a couple of years old. I cannot find this option anywhere. Does anyone know if this option still exists?

7. jgutierrez

Are you sure that the extensions that you try to dial through the IVR are internal extensions? And not extensions that are being dialed from your outbound routes into another destination?

8. RustBoy

No, I am not sure. I am able to dial the extensions and ring phones in the office, so I assume that they are internal.

9. RustBoy

After some more testing I have discovered that all of our extensions are now working with the IVR. I guess the lesson learned is that whenever something is not working, try rebooting your system before spending hours trying to troubleshoot the problem. I can only assume that this is what corrected whatever was causing the original glitch.

Okay, so now that the original problem is resolved, how can we block direct dialing to only some extensions from specific IVR's? For example, let's say we are running multiple companies and we only want the callers to be able to reach the the extensions associated with that company.

I guess one way to do this is to turn off "Enable Direct Dial" and manually enter in only the extensions that we want to pass through. Does anyone know of a better way to implement this?

10. alang