How can I create phantom ext to call ring group?

Discussion in 'General' started by gazmac52, Sep 14, 2009.

1. gazmac52

I need to create an extension number that will activate a ring group.
    E.g. If I call 2300 which is not a real extension then it should activate ring group 600.
    Any suggestions are appreciated.

2. dicko

I suggest the easiest way is to make a ring group numbered 2300 that looks just like 600, no?

3. gazmac52

Thanks for the suggestion.
    Maybe I am not explaining my problem well.
    How do I make the extension? Do I create a SIP ext that will not be used?

4. dicko

What do you mean by an extension, what do you mean by a "phantom" extension, why would you want a SIP extension that "won't be used"?

any dial string can be sent at your whim to any number of unique "end-points", a physical phone, a page group, a ring group, an IVR, try reading "Elastix Without Tears" on the download page,

5. Patrick_elx

You definitely need to read Elastix without tears.

But as dicko said, just create a ring group 2300.

When you will dial 2300 from an extension it will ring the ring group. You don't have to create any additional extension or anything else. You just need to create a ring group 2300.

If you already have a ring group called 600, why not just dialing 600?
    If you really want to dial 2300 that will link to 600, you can then create a misc application 2300 that will link to ring group 600; or you can create a ring group 2300 that will ring 600.

there's plenty of other difficult ways to achieve the same result.

But dialing 600 directly does not need anything and works too ;-)

6. gazmac52

Thank you very much. A simple answer was all that was required.
    I have and did re-read Elastix without tears and there are many diffucult ways.
    Being able to dial a ring group is something new to me. Maybe it is in the book but I did not pick it up.
    Creating a ring group will make it possible to dial an IAX2 trunked branch of our company, not just an extension.

7. dicko

Then those three "simple answer" you got should suffice, they said essentially the same thing, PLEASE re-read "EWT", when you fully understand it, you will save endless amounts of time.

regards

Dicko

p.s.

when properly configured you won't need a ring-group at all (to dial "foreign extensions" ) just pay attention to you dial-plan planning and outbound routing.