How about something for FreePBX??

Discussion in 'General' started by FreePBX, Jan 15, 2008.

1. FreePBX

Its about time to call a spade a spade or in this case to call a leech a leech. Without FreePBX, Elastix wouldn't exist. It is the heart and soul of Elastix. With current versions of Elastix now going over the line and masking that FreePBX is even in the product anymore its time to take a stand and call you out on this. You are selling solutions based on FreePBX, you have corporate sponsors, and what have you contributed back? Nothing. Not so much as a line of code let alone kicking down any financial donations. Your whole line about bein open and giving back to the community has not given back anything at this point. I would like to see a public statement of your support to FreePBX so people can see where you stand.

FreePBX Dev Team

2. ramoncio

freePBX rules!!
    Thanks for your great development!!
    Latest versions of Elastix include an unembedded freePBX admin so you can use it as well, but they tend to integrate it in Elastix's gui.
    I think it's not a very good idea, you both should develop in the same direction.
    I think the Elastix developers should rethink about it. And of course, give you the credit for your development.
    They will have problems everytime you include new features in freePBX.

3. FreePBX

I really like the Elastix project but they are trying to bury the FreePBX project and not give proper credit and pass through any donations. They have a list of sponsors on the site and we don't see anything from them, not even a thank you.

4. mbit

What they are trying to do is offer a properly integrated PBX with many different pieces of software. I believe yes they should have a page on their website detailing the other projects which are in Elastix.

Jumping onto the forum and having a whinge your not making any money from the project is pretty low though. Last time I checked on your website I didn't see you thanking the project PHP which is the heart and soul of freepbx. How much money have you given back to the developers of PHP?

Elastix doesnt try to hide FreePBX at all if you had actually used the product. It is there in full but it just doesnt give a direct link to it from the main page.

Also Elastix may not be giving you any direct donations but can you say that all of the users of Elastix have never given a donation to FreePBX?

If you have a problem with Elastix why don't you take it up with the actual developers. I just also checked the license for FreePBX and it doesnt say anything about forced donations?

5. zeus

I agree with mbit.

FreePbx if you want to force people to give money or make donations then I think you are in the wrong path. If someone of the community make profit from your code then if he is willing may give a donation but if only wants to. I believe that this kind of users are already exists.

FreePbx is great for an open source program but if FreePbx was commercial it would not have such impression to the community.

A lot of people have contributed to make freePbx a stable program, that means that you also make donations to them? (coders, testers, etc).

I also must say that I doubt that YOU express the opinion of the freepbx team.

I think that we have lost the meaning of open source in this thread.

This is my humble opinion.

6. vkeven1

Without FreePBX , elastix and other project like this would not have even born , this closed mind from people that make money from great open source project force the developpers to closed some parts of their code and sell it with a commercial license. Everyone need to put foods on the table, I love the way open source is thinking because no software maker force you to pay, they prefer to let people used their brain to judge if the software worth something but when you have no choice you simply put limitation and force people to pay. I think that we need to donate to freepbx or we will lost this great piece of freely available software. I think that FreePBX should force project to put "Powered by FreePBX" on every page of their product if they don't want to pay for the product. In life nothing is free.

Keven

PS: Where is the Bugtracker?<br><br>Post edited by: vkeven1, at: 2008/01/16 22:55

7. FreePBX

FreePBX gets on the order of about $25 a month in donations. So while everyone is this thread is saying how great FreePBX is, you obviously aren't putting any monetary value on it. Elastix is now available on Rhino equipment, there is a big list of Elastix resellers, Elastix is taking advertising, but the "core of the product" is not getting a cent from the product or any of the people who are selling their products that wouldnt exist without FreePBX. So based on your statement, FreePBX isn't worth anything?

FreePBX Dev

8. ramoncio

jajajajaja

Bug tracker???

jajajajajajaja

9. Telco

FreePBX,

In my mind yes you all have made a huge contribution to elastix. Remember it is open source. And all that is required is that the cudo's to the developer stay in the code. Which it is. So with every download of elastix FreePBX IS getting their credit. Also if ppl just wanted freepbx then why not just download freepbx. I wanted more... that is where elastix came in with a fantastic distro which added some really great features bundled into one.

You should try and ask your ppl up for donations first.

Your website says you have over 1.7 Million ppl who have downloaded your software. And your only recieving $25 a month.... hmmmmm... I would start there.

Just MY thoughts

10. Usuarioforum

Just one thing... Open Source. If you are not agree with the use of freepbx in elastix or other distribution, change to propietary license.<br><br>Post edited by: Usuarioforum, at: 2008/01/17 04:13

11. vkeven1

No,no this mean that people doesn't always used their brain:p

12. cowboy47

I agree. There have been many contributions that have been made to freepbx by testers, coders, & users but they have not received funds for their work or efforts.

At the same time, FreePBX is now selling support, pre-configured devices and training. Yet, efforts that have been made to contact the people at FreePBX to offer training in Central America have met on deaf ears. While there have been discussions of the Elastix appliance, my company has not sold any and the majority of all of our Asterisk business is based on consulting services. This may pay the bills but we are in no way getting rich and there are lots and lots of hours reading and researching issues.

Besides that, what contributions has FreePBX made to Digium, Asterisk, Pear, Mysql, or PHP? So, I guess it is not calling a spade a spade, it is more like the pot calling the kettle black.

C