Hep - Create an extention

rs232c

I'm not as fast as you guys, hopefully someone can help me.

Problem: To create an extention that when dialed would "ring" but not be connected to a physical extention.

I don't know the right terms to use but basically if I dialed the extention number I would get the ring but it would be a virtual extension not a real extention that wouldn't answer.

Why do I want to do this? A poor man's solution to my issue of running out of extentions in a ring group and having the announcement play over and over again without reaching the hold music. Not the best solution for sure, but this way I would not have to create any agent call center stuff. A call would hear the hold music because I would never run out of extentions and once one became available it could be answered for real.

Thank You.

Amphibian

Welcome,

Based on what I'm reading, if I understand what your goal is!

First, let start by saying, I don't know why in the heck you would subject someone to hearing a constantly ringing phone instead of placing them into a ring group where they could be told the amount of wait time plus listen to MOH or maybe a pre-recorded message about your business or special sale.

Second, I would consider this rude if I called your number and it rang for long periods of time. I certainly wouldn't call back and would take my business elsewhere.

Third, for the sake of sounding rude, I personally would advise anyone on how to set this up.

In addition, had You (to coin the phrase from another fine individual here on this site) "RTFM", Elastix Without Tears, you would see that you have your ring groups setup incorrectly if they are not reaching the MOH (music on hold).

Amphibian

rollinsolo

You need to look into queues this is what you want, it can include the hold music as well

rs232c

I'm sorry as I don't believe you have a grasp of the issue.

First, let start by saying, I don't know why in the heck you would subject someone to hearing a constantly ringing phone instead of placing them into a ring group where they could be told the amount of wait time plus listen to MOH or maybe a pre-recorded message about your business or special sale.
First, neither do I. That's not what I asked. I asked how to add a virtual phone extension to a ring group so I didn't have to use a queue. This will resolve the issue of a caller being in announcment jail and allow the call to pass to the ring queue where the MOH will work. Since the average call time is never more than one minute, no one would ever listen to the MOH for more than a minute on average and in no instance does anyone hear any constant ringing. They hear the announcement repeat constantly without the MOH because no extensions are available to play the MOH.

Second, I would consider this rude if I called your number and it rang for long periods of time. I certainly wouldn't call back and would take my business elsewhere.
Ostensibly you have not recognized the issue. Instead of hearing the ring group announcement repeat over and over again until an extenstion becomes available then the call is passed to the MOH I need an available extenstion in the ring group that will not pick up so the MOH will play and the first person to hang up, making a real extention available in around a minute or less without the use of a queue. There is no long periods of time that pass, nor any caller have any transparancy what is going on.

Third, for the sake of sounding rude, I personally would advise anyone on how to set this up.
I don't know with what authority you have to ostracize people. I certainly wouldn't do business with people who do that either in a public way. If you feel the need to be rude for someone asking an innocent question I can only reply that I don't know if being in a people business is a good decision for you. Only you can answer that for yourself.

In addition, had You (to coin the phrase from another fine individual here on this site) "RTFM", Elastix Without Tears, you would see that you have your ring groups setup incorrectly if they are not reaching the MOH (music on hold).
Not only have I read it many times, I have previously admitted that I do not have them set up correctly because it worked for many months this way. Unfortuanately other people that have also read and understood this document better than I could not offer a solution beyond upgrading to queues which will bring a new set of challenges to the real world application of using them.

When you say RTFM are you telling me that if there is a section called "Ring Groups" (Section 5.4) and it does not clearly explain how to handle MOH when all extensions are busy but rather only how to answer the question "Play Music On Hold?" that I cannot respectfully post a question because it breaks the RTFM axiom?

I did read the manual. I didn't find the answer. I posted. No one knew the answer here and most are much better than I at this. People are still getting aggravated and complaining that they are being bombarded with the same announcement over and over and are hanging up because they don't reach the MOH. I try to think of a solution that doesn't use queues and come up with always having an extension available so the MOH will play for never more than a minute when all lines are busy. So I post again. What do I get? That I broke RTFM, that forcing the MOH to play is unfair, that I am aggravating customers, I get labled an outcast and don't help me, and that my business should fail and we all be unemployed because God forbid that I need to get this one and only ring group I have to work the same way it did for months.

If you wish to put on the registration page who may post and who may not I would have read it carefully and declined to join as I might be on your 'excluded' list. If I had your level of knowledge I wouldn't need to post at all and certainly would not break rule #1 on being a critic.

If I didn't belong here I am sure the webmaster would make that known. If it ethically bothers you that I cannot use a queue and must find an alternative solution that works to seamlesly help customers, well, the problem isn't me. There are many outstanding people here that I respect for their help, if I didn't, I would never have joined or posted.

In conclusion, if you take issue with my business, my customers, my systems or myself I can only request that you do not reply to my posts and refrain from libeling me because you do not have any rights to or any knowledge of or about any of these things.

I only asked a question I had, I didn't expect any moral police to pounce on me.

rs232c

As far as being rude to keep a customer on a ringing phone, elastix offers two choice for ring groups, 1) put caller on hold forever, and 2) keep playing ringtones until caller hangs up under Terminate Call. That would be rude.

Solution: To use a free softphone on another computer to ring. This breaks almost every systems design practice I know, but for now allows the callers uninterupted service with a call waiting time under one minute and allows the MOH to operate properly. I don't recommed this solution but it will have to do until the time becomes appropriate to clear this up correctly.

dicko

I suggest that a queue is more appropriate and feature rich than a ring group just as rollinsolo suggested, it would meet all your needs "correctly" and can be called recursively (with care) if deemed necessary, for far longer than the 60 second limit of a ring group, it is also far more elegant and far less error prone than your "kluge" however if it works for you . . .

dicko

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dineshr