Help setting up Polycom 501's

Discussion in 'General' started by paulsoddy, Sep 17, 2008.

1. paulsoddy

Hello,

We uses Linksys ATA boxes, SPA94X and Polycom Phones. I followed the direction as per Elastix without Tears but none of my devices are connecting to ELASTIX. I have used End Point Configuration tool but none of the devices registers to the server.

Can someone please post step by step setup guide for Polycom? over and above of what "Elastix without Tears" explains.

I.e. Do I need to make any changes to the hardware settings manually and what are those changes?

I tried to monitor via less /var/log/asterisk/full but device does not even touch the server.

End Point Configuration tool shows "Configured without incident".

We had these devices connected to some other service provider before but now I would like to keep it inhouse.

Many-Many thanks in advance for your help.

2. paulsoddy

Please help......... or I have to give up.........

thanks

3. telecomtechnician

Don´t give up

Hi there

1) Does the polycom 501 has the sip firmware correctly installed?

2) You have to enter to the web interface of the different phones and ata´s and configure username, password, proxy or sip server.

3) Take your time, read and learn, do not pretend to know everything so fast. Elastix has a lot of features so you have to take your time and understand everything.

Waiting for your comments

David Medina

4. paulsoddy

Re:Don´t give up

Thank you Thank you for replying.
    1) Does the polycom 501 has the sip firmware correctly installed?
    -> Yes they do have up to date firmware because all the phones are currently working with Trixbox offsite PBX and I would like to install a local machine in the office.
    -> I love what I see, ELASTIX have wonderful product to offer and I would like to stick to it.

2) You have to enter to the web interface of the different phones and ata´s and configure username, password, proxy or sip server.
    -> Currently we don't have to do any of that other than setup the provisioning server IP (in current situation it is offsite Trixbox IP) rest is taken care once phone boots up. By doing manual insertion of all the details defeats the purpose of PROVISIONING.

3) Take your time, read and learn, do not pretend to know everything so fast. Elastix has a lot of features so you have to take your time and understand everything.
    -> You are absolutely right I should spend more time to know everything and I guess I'm on right path by asking professionals like you to share the knowledge.

-> I'm still waiting for pro like you to tell me or let ELASTIX without tears author know to post this solution.

-> I'm newbie to all this, I have just started playing with Linux/PBX stuff. So I guess I may have got too excited to rock and roll.

Once again Thank you for the support.

5. paulsoddy

Re:Don´t give up

Hello All,

Finnally I have managed to make our Polycom phones worked hopefully this solution will work for you too.
    Here's Step By Step
    1) Reset the phone to Factory Default *This is very important.
    HowTo: http://sipx-wiki.calivia.com/index.php/Troubleshooting_Polycom_SoundPoint_Phone
    2) Use End Point Configuration tool and set that phone.
    3) Login to the Phone change the setting as follows
    a) Press "Menu"
    b) Press 3 followed by 2
    c) Enter password default password is "456" without quote.
    d) Press 1, 1
    e) Scroll down to "Server Menu" and select
    f) Press EDIT and use Left/Right arrow key to select "TrivialFTP"
    g) Press OK
    h) Change Server Address to your PBX IP/ServerName
    i) Delete Server User
    j) Delete Server Password
    k) Exit (Keep on going till it ask you to "save changes and reboot")
    4) Your Phone should reboot with new configurations.
    5) If it didn't work sorry boys either you can repeat this process or search for more options.

End Point Configuration tool helps you to setup 1 Line device only, from here you need to do manual tricks to add/activate other lines. Polycom 501 is 3 line device. Here's what I have done to add/activate rest of the lines. open vi /tftpboot/MACIDreg.cfg and edit this

Original:
    reg.1.lineKeys="1"
    New:
    reg.1.lineKeys="3"

Thank You