help please - Sending a fax using an email client

Discussion in 'General' started by speedy3k, Oct 29, 2009.

1. speedy3k

I'm a linux newbie, and I'm need of some help with some things thats over my head.

I would like to send outbound faxes using an email client. Can anyone help with that or have any tips. I'm trying to keep administration down, so Avantfax isn't going to work for me. Also, since some users have vista/windows 7, winprint hylafax wont work.

Thanks for your help,
    Speedy

2. dwells

3. speedy3k

yes, I google'd! couldn't really find anythign that fits my needs. the asterfax is the closest I've found, but I don't know if it will play nice with postfix on the same box

4. ramoncio

Hi speedy3k,

yajhfc works in Vista/Windows7, and it's much better than Winprint Hylafax.

Anyway, Odicha (a Spanish developer who integrated BRI support into dahdi) is developing a script to do exactly what you want, odifax. Don't google it, he hasn't released the code yet, but we've been trying it and it works really nice.

I'm planning on writing very soon an article and releasing the script into the Elastix new blogs http://blogs.elastix.org/en/ so watch it in the next few weeks.

5. speedy3k

6. speedy3k

ok, I think I'm getting closer and closer. right now, email client to fax seems to be working. My issue was a version and options related. doh!

My next issue seems to be with "Notify". It appears that the provided elastix notify script will always use the email address in the database for the iaxmodem used. This is fine for inbound only, but outbound should be more flexible. Because of this, when the fax submitter sends an outbound fax, the success/fail notification gets sent to the users configured in elastix for that iaxmodem.

Any idea hows on how to overcome that? Any help would be great!

Thanks,

7. speedy3k

ramoncio,
    for the life of me, I can't this to work right. if there is any chance you can help me with this early, please let me know! kermit023 at hotmail dot com
    Thank you!

8. Patrick_elx

I'm looking for the same kind of feature.
    I've got an old hp digital sender that can only send the fax as an email with a tiff/pdf attachment to internet fax provider.

It would be nice to be able to connect it to avantfax on the elastix box.

I've found that website that give some clues, but still too fragmentary for me:
    http://www.anomalous.net/ds8100.html

9. emenny81

Any word of when odifax will get released ?? or if we can even become testers ?