help on setup groudstart with dahdi

Discussion in 'General' started by fredsi, Jul 12, 2010.

1. fredsi

Hi there,

I'm running Elastix 1.6-12, dahdi 2.3.0.1 with Sangoma A40606. I set up the FXO trunks and can't dial out. then i realized it's because the CO lines are groundstart signal. The inbound is working, I have 1 Loopstart line works too, but all my other lines are Groundstart. I tried to change /etc/dahdi/system.ini and chan_dahdi.conf, dahdi-channels.confs' fxo_ks to fxo_gs, but can't make it work.

Does anyone know how to configure to make it work? Thank you.

Fred

2. dicko

Don't forget that FXO ports use fxs signaling (and vice versa) so an analog ground-start trunk should probably be using fxs_gs signaling.

Also it is usually necessary to bring down asterisk and restart dahdi then start asterisk for these settings to take effect.

dicko

3. fredsi

Thank you Dicko,

my FXO trunks are configured as fxs_ks in chan_dahdi.conf and dahdi_channels.conf or fxsks in /etc/dahdi/system.conf. Whenever I changed it to fxs_gs in chan_dahdi.conf -- it doesn't matter the other two changed or not -- I run "dahdi restart" in CLI>, all the trunks starting from the 1st fxs_gs will not be started. I will try to bring down asterisk and restart dahdi that way later on. Do you think I should change all 3 files so that they all match?

Fred

4. dicko

Be careful of the rules of "order of inclusion" in Aterisk with

chan_dahdi.conf and dahdi_channels.conf

lines that start with #include will insert that file at that point, the last definition of any parameter "wins" read the top of dadhdi_channels.conf and see if it makes sense, if you autoconfigured then maybe so, if you handcrafted it will usually be empty.

You cannot normally restart dahdi from within asterisk as you will have modules loaded that will prevent that fully happening.

But I DO think that a rational use of signalling in system.con and chan_dahdi.conf will benefit.
    maybe:

http://www.asteriskguide.com/mediawiki/ ... _signaling

will reduce your confusion

dicko

5. fredsi

Hi Dicko,

I'm confused with chan_dahdi.conf and dahdi_channels.conf. The 1st was autogenerated by wancfg_dahdi and the 2nd by dahdi_genconf, and "it is intended to be #include-d by /etc/chan_dahdi.conf" (I believe it's the 1st file), but there was no such #include in either files. So I think only chan_dahdi.conf takes effect, right?

Here is what I did last night: I stopped Asterisk, wanrouter and dahdi. Then I modified the 4th channel in /etc/dahdi/system.conf and /etc/asterisk/chan_dahdi.conf to fxsgs and fxs_gs. I restarted wanrouter, dahdi and Asterisk. I did see the 4th been configured as Groundstart, --Channel map:

Channel 01: FXO Kewlstart (Default) (Echo Canceler: oslec) (Slaves: 01)
    Channel 02: FXO Kewlstart (Default) (Echo Canceler: oslec) (Slaves: 02)
    Channel 03: FXS Kewlstart (Default) (Echo Canceler: oslec) (Slaves: 03)
    Channel 04: FXS Groundstart (Default) (Echo Canceler: oslec) (Slaves: 04)
    Channel 05: FXS Kewlstart (Default) (Echo Canceler: oslec) (Slaves: 05)
    24 channels to configure.

/usr/share/dahdi/waitfor_xpds: Missing astribank_is_starting

but I didn't have dahdi command in Asterisk CLI>, so I had to change everything back and re-did the whole process.

Here I have 2 questions: 1. what is the "Missing astribank..." error? It happened in both scenario. 2. Do I need to change anything in /etc/dahdi/modules since my card is not Digium but a Sangoma A400 because I saw some FATAL error: Module XXXXX not found when dahdi start.

Thank you very much for all your help.

Fred

6. dicko

The astribank stuff is for xorcom you can comment it out in "system"

. . .I saw some FATAL error . ..

is kind of critical and you need to take notice of what didn't load, (it should still be in the relevant "/var/log/asterisk/full.*")

But I really suggest you read the Sangoma stuff as running auto configuration stuff randomly might not be what you want to do :)

dicko

7. fredsi

I still have my load window open. Here is the output from "/etc/init.d/dahdi start":

Loading DAHDI hardware modules:
    wct4xxp: [ OK ]
    wcte12xp: [ OK ]
    wct1xxp: [ OK ]
    wcte11xp: [ OK ]
    wctdm24xxp: [ OK ]
    wcfxo: [ OK ]
    wctdm: [ OK ]
    wcb4xxp: [ OK ]
    wctc4xxp: [ OK ]
    xpp_usb: [ OK ]
    opvxa1200: FATAL: Module opvxa1200 not found.
    [FAILED]
    ystdm8xx: FATAL: Module ystdm8xx not found.
    [FAILED]
    ystdm16xx: FATAL: Module ystdm16xx not found.
    [FAILED]
    ap400: FATAL: Module ap400 not found.
    [FAILED]
    dahdi_dynamic_eth: [ OK ]
    dahdi_dynamic_ethmf: [ OK ]
    ax1600p: FATAL: Module ax1600p not found.
    [FAILED]
    rxt1: DAHDI Tools Version - 2.3.0

Does that mean I can comment those Modules since I don't have them? Thanks.

Fred

8. dicko

I'll allow you two guesses, I bet you get it right in one.

9. dicko

I'll allow you two guesses, I bet you get it right in one.

You can comment out all the other ones too. (unless you use them)

The lack of these modules do however suggest that you have gone off the "Elastix" beaten track with either your kernel or your dahdi stuff also, that is not necessarily a problem, but as I said before, you better know what you are doing from here on in.

regards

dicko

10. fredsi

Thank you Dicko.

Back to the beginning, any comment on the ground start configuration?

Fred

11. dicko

Not really , if you have ground-start trunks you need to so provision them or it won't work, that's just old fashioned telephony and how the CO signals you. They are very rare here, we use them in our PSTN for analog DID trunks which are inbound only, and "party-lines" out in the boonies, all the rest were converted years ago. Sometimes you meet them when talking to a very old PBX. So apart from the DID thing, I have little experience.

12. fredsi

this is happened to us. we had the GS lines connected to our old switch, and now i need to move them to Elastix. that's when I found there were problems. I might just call the telco to convert them to LS.

thanks for the advices.

Fred

13. dicko

I agree, make sure that decent "far end disconnect supervision" (CDC) is also provisioned or you will have suddenly start having hang-up problems.