Help me on my quest for ADSL Plug n' Play VoIP QoS

Discussion in 'General' started by Chilling_Silence, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Chilling_Silence

Hi all,

So we currently offer a custom solution for Routers for larger clients that involves an Alix 2c3 running pfSense and a Linksys AM300 in Halfbridge to it.

Works brilliantly most of the time, but to be honest its a right bitch to set up.
    Cost is approx USD$300 all up (Around NZD$600).

The problem is we're looking at taking our product to small businesses on a larger scale, and it would be nice if we knew of a router that was easier to setup than this existing solution.

Ive been looking into Cisco, and apparently some models have AutoQoS which can be activated with something like:
    interface Serial0
    bandwidth 256
    autoqos voip

Now, the only problem is, some Cisco routers cost upto NZD$35,000 (USD$17,000), with most costing NZD$2,000. Thats a little over the price range, even NZD$600 is a lot considering most ADSL routers go for <NZD$100

So, doing some research, Im trying to work out if the Cisco SOHO 97 ADSL Router will support the aforementioned AutoQoS, as it appears the only Cisco product in the <NZD$1,000 range.

Following that, Im also keen to try and find a real quick & easy "drop-in" Router solution for QoS. Things like certain Linksys routers / ATA's / IP Phones do basic QoS, but not enough for a business that could potentially saturate its upload by doing something like sending a large email attachment, or a Video Chat in Skype for example.
    Most ADSL connections in New Zealand have a max of 8m/bit down & 768kbps upload. Actual attained is generally less.

So, I figure that surely Im not the only one out there in this position, trying to find a decent ADSL Router that easily does reliable QoS

Any thoughts / comments / suggestions / insights would be much appreciated

Cheers

Chill.

2. DaveD

I had issues with some billion routers/modems not doing QoS good enough,ended up putting the modems into pure bridge mode

On a few setups I have done now I put smoothwall 3.0 on a few old p3's I had around the place

The QoS setup in snoothwall was smooth and easy and did several tests with heavy downloads and uploads while using voip

Must say it never glitched once

Now have the same setup at home and wife is happy ,no more screaming at the kids when on the phone for using P2P

3. Chilling_Silence

Problem is that not all routers support Bridging mode, and Ive never been a fan of those billion routers either ;)

Ive been tempted to look into SmoothWall, however it needs to be something that we can actually deploy on a large scale, so using old P3's wont work, and Im not sure how well they run on something like the Alix2c3. Worst-case scenario I s'pose I could always use the likes of some Mini-ITX VIA mobo / cpu combo, but they're heaps bigger than something like the Alix 2c3

Have looked at other small / embedded hardware and even the Soekris boards cost through the roof!

Ideally I'd prefer not to use something in bridge / half-bridge mode, makes it a right PITA to configure remotely, but if its the only way then its the only way :(

Might grab SmoothWall just for a play with in a Virtual machine for now though.
    Thanks for your input DaveD